We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Onsen with Private Suites in The City?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,890 posts
Save Topic
Any Onsen with Private Suites in The City?

When in Tokyo & Yokohama recently, the GF and I really enjoyed visiting several upscale onsen that had private bathing suites for couples....

They were large, luxurious and well-equipped with a huge furo, separate cleansing area, a full line of products, and great views. As well as communal baths, locker rooms, food & beverage and other supporting facilities.

I've read through Google links, websites and Yelp reviews about half-a-dozen Japanese/Asian type spas/onsen in town, but none seem to offer this option (or make it clear what may be available).

Anything like that available in San Francisco?

And, if you would care to throw out the name of your favorite hotel for a visiting couple near City Center in the $200 to $300 per night range, that would be great. Haven't stayed in a hotel on a pleasure trip in The City for years; its always friends or VRBO when not on business.

Thanks for your insights.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,947 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Onsen with Private Suites in The City?

The only Japanese spa is Kabuki Springs in Japantown- I don't believe they have private rooms though.

www.kabukisprings.com

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Onsen with Private Suites in The City?

In terms of hotels, you mIght like the Hotel Kabuki in Japantown, the bathrooms have Japanese style soaking tubs. Jtown isn't exactly the City Center but buses should be good.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,364 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Onsen with Private Suites in The City?

Hotels. Check www.kimpton.com or www,jdv.com for boutique hotels Prices yoyo so you do need to see the rates on your arrival dates

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,604 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Onsen with Private Suites in The City?

Amberloo, for hotel I'd look at the Embarcadero and look at the JDV and Kimpton hotels there and JDV & Kimpton in general. I don't know if you've run across the JDV people in Honolulu yet, but I think they do a great job and I'd love to see Kimpton go into Honolulu. It seems like a natural with their West Coast base.

5. Re: Any Onsen with Private Suites in The City?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 05:19