We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to the Moraga Tiled Steps/ Grand view Park?

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
218 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to the Moraga Tiled Steps/ Grand view Park?

I want to see the mosaic Tiled steps at Moraga Street that lead up to Grand View Park in the Sunset district.

I am a bit lost how to get there though. BART only goes to Mission and I see a muni (?) going to Castro but after that I see nothing.

Are there buses going to that area? And if so: which is the best one to take and from where? (I am residing in a hotel near Union Square)

Thanks!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,588 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to the Moraga Tiled Steps/ Grand view Park?

MUNI will be the way to go. It can get you to within a few blocks of anywhere in the city.

Unfortunately I'm on my phone so it's a pain to look up the specific route(a) for you to take. A local should chime in soon and, if not, I'll do so when I'm on a computer.

In the meantime if you're in a rush, you can google MUNI and check the maps/routes on their website.

Sorry I can't give a specific answer at this time,

hlo

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,485 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to the Moraga Tiled Steps/ Grand view Park?

Here is a hint. Go to maps.google.com and type in your start and end destination and you can then click on the bus icon for routes

In this case, I would walk down to market street and go underground to the MUNI Powell street station (forget BART) take the N Judah MUNI streetcar and get off at Judah around 16th in then sunset district and walk a few blocks to these steps. That is how we go there. Ask folks on the N and they will show you where to get off .

Edited: 07 November 2013, 14:33
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to the Moraga Tiled Steps/ Grand view Park?

The base of those steps is at 16th and Moraga. The easiest way to get there from downtown is to take the N-Judah train outbound from any of the metro stations and get off at 16th ave. From there walk to 17th and then turn left and walk south to Moraga and turn left again and walk to 16th and you'll be at the base of the steps.

If you have questions about muni, there are some top questions on the right side (or in the 2nd post in the forum) that might give you some background.

Have a good trip.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
218 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to the Moraga Tiled Steps/ Grand view Park?

Wow thanks a lot for all those quick answers

I never actually understood the whole Muni/BART system

I have been to SF before and always thought the BART was the only underground thing there and that the muni were the trams above

But apparently at Powell St. there is also an underground Muni. I will check out the posts about muni.

I looked up a map and see the N-Judah train there.

I think it should be easy now I know that train goes all the way from Powell as well :)

Thanks!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,485 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to the Moraga Tiled Steps/ Grand view Park?

If you read the top questions about MUNI and BART we have tried to make it as easy to understand as we can with photos. Hope that helps but if it is not clear, please let us know as that info is meant for visitors They are two different systems

BART pretty much runs underground in Sf and just skirts the city under Mission and market and is more of a intercity train and not used as much to go within the city. Muni has buses streetcars and cablecars with buses going to most parts of the city. N Judah is a. Streetcar. MUNI streetcars also run under Market as well as on Market but they have their own stations underground

Edited: 07 November 2013, 16:31
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to the Moraga Tiled Steps/ Grand view Park?

BART to really simplify it, takes people from the suburbs into SF and vice versa. if you do a search for these stairs you can read some of the posts with more MUNI bus options and some tips about the surrounding area.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
218 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to the Moraga Tiled Steps/ Grand view Park?

Just an update: I got there with the N-Judah streetcar and could already see the steps when I jumped out of it.

BUT: they were closed! There was a blue fence around the steps and I could not enter them

Don't know for how long they will be closed but just thought it might be helpful information for other people reading this topic now

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,123 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to the Moraga Tiled Steps/ Grand view Park?

Shoot... sorry you went all the way out and not see them. Was there a sign or anything on the fence? Any Sunset locals know?

Did you salvage your journey out that way by seeing anything else?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,123 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to the Moraga Tiled Steps/ Grand view Park?

oops. double post from phone hiccup.

Edited: 17 November 2013, 17:21
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get to the Moraga Tiled Steps/ Grand view Park?

from the N judah you can NOT see the MORAGA steps. you were looking at the 15th Ave. steps. the moraga steps were such a success that the neighborhood choose a SECOND set of stairs to tile. so that is what you saw. the sunset is laid out numerical 1 through 48th avenues. and the cross streets are alphabetical from J(udah) to Y(orba). too bad you didn't search recent posts on this. it explained the various bus lines to get to them, dining areas, topography. there is always next time and then you can see both of them.