We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alonzo King Lines Ballet - bad neighborhood?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
37 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Alonzo King Lines Ballet - bad neighborhood?

I'm going to San Francisco for work tomorrow and am thinking about taking a ballet class at Alonzo King Lines ballet - 26 7th Street. On Google maps the area looks a little sketch. I'll be going alone, and in the evening. Is it safe? Would it be easy to catch a taxi from there?

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,099 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alonzo King Lines Ballet - bad neighborhood?

If you leave the performance with the rest of the class, most of them are probably going to Market St to catch public transport, you should be fine. Just don't dawdle. Connect with a few people and let them know where you are going after class, they will probably walk to transport with you.

Edited: 11 November 2013, 04:30
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
228 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alonzo King Lines Ballet - bad neighborhood?

I work right in that area. It's half a block from the Civic Center station, which serve BART and MUNI. It shouldn't be a problem getting to the station; just keep your wits about you and be on alert.

If you need a taxi, walk up to Market Street and hail one.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
15,462 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alonzo King Lines Ballet - bad neighborhood?

It is a sketchy neighborhood, but I would feel ok walking there for an 8 pm or so performance (walk from Market Street and use your street sense). Where are you going afterwards? If BART or something on Market Street or Union Square, walk with a group and you should be fine. If further afield, take a taxi, catching it on Market Street.

sf
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alonzo King Lines Ballet - bad neighborhood?

Relax its right next to the federal Bldg, and block off Market St its fine with a lot of foot traffic, and unless its 2 AM NOT A PROBLEM.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,625 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alonzo King Lines Ballet - bad neighborhood?

Agree with the others. You should be fine . Let is know where you are going to next and we can help

I personally feel that the Federal building is the biggest eyesore in that immediate area. :-)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
37 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alonzo King Lines Ballet - bad neighborhood?

Everyone, thank you! Since I'm here on business it's still up for debate if I'll be able to make it. But now I feel fine about going - sounds like I can just walk up to Market street and get a taxi back to my hotel. Again, thanks for all the replies!

7. Re: Alonzo King Lines Ballet - bad neighborhood?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 05:17