We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF at Thanksgiving (avoiding it!!)

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
SF at Thanksgiving (avoiding it!!)

I am in SF for Thanksgiving arriving mid-afternoon on the 28th. Unlike other posters on similar topics I am looking for tips on how to avoid the Thanksgiving experience. I cant think of anything worse than eating over priced Turkey in a hotel restaurant. Does anyone know of good Sushi or perhaps Chinese restaurants that a) won't be pushing a touristy thanksgiving menu b) are friendly to a solo traveller c) dont put singles at communal tables (bar/counter is fine) d) dont inflate prices for thanksgiving.

Also as a single gal travelling which are the no-go areas after dark? I've heard mixed things about Mission and Tenderloin. I'm a Londoner so used to city life.

Finally I would like the name of a place I can get a decent cocktail but be left alone to enjoy it. Does such a bar exist in SF? Usually hotel bars are best for this in London.

Thanks so much

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,410 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SF at Thanksgiving (avoiding it!!)

Well Chinese restaurants don't have a thanksgiving menu so go to any that are open we have a list in top questions. Some should be open

Cocktails. There are so many bars around SF so it is best to find one near your hotel

Well there is no need for you to go to the. Tenderloin unless you are looking for Pakistani food, but during the day only. Avoid the area at night

The mission is ok especially on Valencia and Guerrero and plenty of great restaurants . I would not hang out there say after 9 PM

Be street smart and you should be ok

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: SF at Thanksgiving (avoiding it!!)

Many places that serve a "decent cocktail" will fit your needs. One such place, John's Grill, has rich wood paneling, professional bar tenders who will look out for you and they pour the best martini in a town which worships the martini. For something different, you can go upstairs to see the original Maltese Falcon. This is due to the fact that the Grill is mentioned in Dashiell Hammett's book of the same name, written many years before the movie. That should give you an idea how long John's has been pouring excellent drinks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: SF at Thanksgiving (avoiding it!!)

Thanks both - I have seen the Chinese list I guess I was hoping someone would know of somewhere good that is definitely open at TG. I will be jetlagged so don't want to be wandering around for hours ideally. Sushi preferred over Chinese. Thanks for the security briefing! Re: the question on cocktails it is really hard walking into unknown bars at random. You don't know whether they are pick up joint type places or if the bartenders will assume you are a hooker. Don't really want to be on my own in club-type bars either. As such I usually avoid bars when travelling but it seems a shame to be in SF and not have a cocktail! Will definitely check out John's thanks!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,334 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SF at Thanksgiving (avoiding it!!)

Where will you be staying? Even locals probably don't know who Will open for certain. But with a neighborhood, we may be able to help. I will volunteer to call if we come up with a short list.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: SF at Thanksgiving (avoiding it!!)

I can assure you that nobody will hassle you in John's. They are used to traveling business women and know how to take care of them.

Where are you staying?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,760 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SF at Thanksgiving (avoiding it!!)

>>how to avoid the Thanksgiving experience<<

Just to be clear, not everyone eats turkey on Thanksgiving. The "experience" for most folks is to spend time with family and/or friends. Turkey is *not* essential to enjoy the day.

Here are some ways my friends and/or family "Experience Thanksgiving"

- fly to Anaheim and enjoy Disneyland (every year!)

- travel to Canada where everything is open and enjoy tourism

- go to a zoo

- go on a hike

- volunteer

- watch a parade

- attend or just watch a football game

===========

I hope you have a great day, whatever you end up doing.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SF at Thanksgiving (avoiding it!!)

One of my favorite bars is The Big Four in the Huntington Hotel on Nob Hill. Dark with dark green leather. Piano player starts at 5PM. Traditional but not stuffy.

Depending on where you're staying and the fact you may be rather jet lagged, if you can do room service that might be a possibility.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: SF at Thanksgiving (avoiding it!!)

Chinita - that is spectacularly kind of you but wouldn't dream of troubling you to call round. I'm staying near Financial District - Sutter/Kearney St. Any suggestions gladly received.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: SF at Thanksgiving (avoiding it!!)

Thanks Pacific - I was being flippant with the Turkey - what I meant was that I'm on my own in a new city so Thanksgiving and it's usual activities are not relevant/interesting for me

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: SF at Thanksgiving (avoiding it!!)

Whitedahlia - that sounds lovely! Will have a look.