We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duelling Piano bars, Piano Bars, Blues etc.

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dartmouth, Nova...
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Duelling Piano bars, Piano Bars, Blues etc.

Hi there,

We are a married couple (who are both 49) going to SF next week for 6 days. We are going for a conference and staying at the Hilton Union Sqaure for this on the 21st to the 24th of Nov and at the Union Street B& B the Tues and Wed night prior to that.

We love pubs and bars with music. We don't like being in a pub/bar with mainly teens(our drinking age here is 19) & twenty somethings - as we have kids of those ages and we want something our own age or there abouts :)

We love duelling piano bars. anyone have any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Duelling Piano bars, Piano Bars, Blues etc.

I don't believe I have ever seen "dueling pianos" outside a concert performance. Even that wasn't really a duel, but more complimenting and accompanying each other. You can find several pianos around town, including the friendly sing along style at Lefty O'Doul's right on Union Square, all the way up to the elegant styles found at the Big Four on Nob Hill, only a short cable car ride away. There used to be a blues and jazz joint out on Haight, but I don't know if it is still there. On occasion you can find some gritty, earthy blues in The Saloon, the oldest bar in SF, a short walk through Chinatown to North Beach and just across the street from the original Beat coffee house, Cafe Trieste.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,099 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duelling Piano bars, Piano Bars, Blues etc.

House of blues for blues. If you want to see what's playing in the world of jazz, there is the SF Jazz center but it is not a bar. Yoshis in the Fillmore is another spot for music. Check www.sfweekly,com for what's playing . If you go to Sausalito on Sundays there is always a band playing at the no name bar in the afternoons

SF has a good set of cocktail bars ( no music ). Try bourbon and branch

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
214 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duelling Piano bars, Piano Bars, Blues etc.

Well, what do you know? Johnny Foley's, right down the street from the Hilton, has dueling pianos on a couple of the nights you're staying there.

www.duelingpianosatfoleys.com/calendar.html

Biscuits and Blues is also near the Hilton, on Mason at Geary.

http://www.biscuitsandblues.com/index.html

Edited: 16 November 2013, 18:50
Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Duelling Piano bars, Piano Bars, Blues etc.

This is probably far afield from your interests, but near Yoshi’s, on Fillmore, on Sunday’s about noon, you can attend a jazz oriented religious service at the Saint John Coltrane African Orthodox Church. It’s a storefront operation. Coltrane was religious and deeply spiritual – his four part work: “A Love Supreme” his religious masterpiece.

When I give tours of out-of-the-way San Francisco, I have to know my customers [not really money paying customers] and who wants to discover mere gadfly and who wants to discover real. The St John Coltrane AOC is as real as real can be. Were you to drop in, you would be extraordinarily welcome. You may get to hear religious and gospel music in a singularly progressive jazz expression.

Were you to attend, it would be a service, a Mass, that is relaxed and to be enjoyed, but there is no question it is religious devotion and not some sort of tourist caricature playing to visitor’s expectations about offbeat or unusual San Francisco.

Dartmouth, Nova...
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duelling Piano bars, Piano Bars, Blues etc.

These are all great!! I am busily copying and pasting it all down. We are not really up for the spiritual type of music SFCity Guy - but there will be so many on this convention that if anyone is interested I will certainly pass it along. thank-you.

Thanks to all of you for looking into this for us. We have been to a couple of Duelling Piano bars now...our favourite was in San Diego two years ago. ( It was very close to Jim Croce's wife's restaurant and bar if any are interested when or if visiting). We are definitely going to try Johnny Foley's!!

Yoshi's looked interesting belomiser, but I have an allergy to seafood/shellfish, so I don't think it would be a good spot for me. We live by the sea here as well, and when we go somewhere with a lot of sushi or shellfish, it doesn't work well for me...which is too bad. I will however look into www.sfweekly,com. Thanks so very much

The Saloon looks a bit too "gritty" for us maybe, but I am really interested in seeing the Cafe Trieste now ugyved2!!

We also love wine bars and have been looking at different threads.

Nectar Wine Lounge and California Wine Merchant look to be pretty good bets.

If anyone has any other suggestions, we would love to hear.

thanks again everyone!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
1,010 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duelling Piano bars, Piano Bars, Blues etc.

Spent Halloween at Johnny Foley's and it's a blast! Exactly what you are looking for.

Dartmouth, Nova...
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duelling Piano bars, Piano Bars, Blues etc.

PlanetR

We can't wait!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,667 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duelling Piano bars, Piano Bars, Blues etc.

I too love those cheesy dueling piano bars. It's basically live singalongs. I mean who doesn't like singing Bon Jovi or Queen with a room of buzzed people? :p

I have been to the Tap Room a few times recently and had a lot of fun. It's a beer centric place with TVs for sports games and pool, fooze ball, etc in a nicer setting than Dave and Buster. No live music but another spot to consider for fun.

Definitely check out SF Weekly. Look to see if any shows are of interest during your stay.

Dartmouth, Nova...
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duelling Piano bars, Piano Bars, Blues etc.

thanks Chinita...added it to our list! Van Morrison is playing when we are there!!! I checked for tickets but I knew already they would be sold out...oh well, bit pricey for an already pricey trip :) However it would have been an amazing treat :)

We may do one of the comedy clubs while there as well.

Thanks again for your help

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,667 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duelling Piano bars, Piano Bars, Blues etc.

Check StubHub when you get here to see if anyone is trying to get rid if a pair of tix at the last minute. Don't use Craiglist though. You sound like my kind of folks. I had way too much fun last night karoaking. Yes... Brown Eyed Girl was on the hit list. :)

Edited: 17 November 2013, 19:51