We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels on a budget

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotels on a budget

Hi Guys

We are starting out West Coast road trip in September 2014 !!

Can anybody recommend any good hotels on a budget between $100 / $130 per night?

I have started to have a look and found the Grant Plaza hotel was at $109 per night !!

So when is the right time to start booking?

thanks in advance

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels on a budget

Attached to our Top Questions is this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k628810…

It has a long list of budget hotels in SF. September is quite a popular month. I would book a cancellable reservation early and then continue to check back for any price changes.

If you are looking for hotels in other parts of California (it's not exactly clear from your post), then post in the city/town forum where you plan to be.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,097 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels on a budget

Well make a Rez now that you can cancel and check to see if prices dip.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,265 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels on a budget

A handful of comments:

1. Dahlia has indeed linked to a Top Question that has a good list of budget hotels.

2. I know you've said road trip, but the general advice is to *not* have a car in SF if possible. Parking will limit your hotel options and/or cost you $$$ and, again, generally a car is not needed in the city. In fact, using a car can be a headache with traffic, hills, finding & paying for parking, etc.

You might check dropping the car when you arrive and then getting another one when you leave. or (ideally) if SF is either your first or last city, then pickup the car when you're ready to leave (or drop it when you arrive). Also, be aware that we often hear that overseas visitors aren't charged one-way drop charges when picking up & dropping off in California.

3. If you have to have a car, the Top Question discusses hotels with free parking (which is probably necessary to avoid blowing a hole in your budget). Most of these are in the "Lombard Row" of hotels, not the best location for getting around the city, but not to bad either. There are a smattering of other hotels with free parking around the city, but the biggest concentration is along Lombard west of Van Ness.

4. If you won't have a car, check out the budget Union Square hotel thread (linked in the Top Question). This has about 20 or so hotels in the general Union Square area that typically can be booked for ~$125/night (or less).

5. Be aware that the total tax on hotel rooms in SF is ~15%. Thus, the $109 rate you've already seen will end up being more like $125 after tax. If you want your $125 to be after tax, then you need to be looking at rates in the $110 range (or lower).

6. Particularly since you're coming during a popular time (when demand will be higher), you might want to bump your budget a little bit. Adding just $10-$25 to your daily budget will increase your options and could mean that you'll get a good rock solid budget hotel in a better location rather then one that some might think questionable whether it should be on the "good, clean, safe, budget" list and/or in a location that might bother some people.

7. Just happened to remember that it has been reported that one of the hotels on the budget Union Square list has a limited number of free parking spaces. 99% sure it is the Mayflower and that this is mentioned in the forum thread. Might want to check it out if you have to have the car.

That's all - hope it helps,

hlo

London, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels on a budget

Thanks for help guys.

I have managed to plan the rest of my hotels just looking for San Francisco ones at the moment.

I will have a look at the link you posted when i get home from work.

As you rightly said hlo defiantly not having a car. We are picking up our rental on the 3rd day and head for Sacramento.

Yeh i was thinking the budget was a little tight will see if i can juggle the budget around.

thanks

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,273 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels on a budget

You can find something within your budget for a hostel or similar. There are some urban hostels advertising, so before booking, please check with us. The most frequently recommended is the hostel at Fort Mason... convenient, good views and appears to be clean and safe. Also, the San Remo Hotel is between Fisherman's Wharf and North Beach, and offers European pension-style rooms, most without private bath, for around $100/night, I believe ($60 or so during off-season).

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels on a budget

The San Remo is a nice old place very close to some good eats in North Beach. It has been redone but still is a walk up with smaller rooms. I suspect it was probably intended as a sailor's flop in the old days before the renovation. As far as hostels go, you can do a lot worse than the Adelaide Hostel which is an easy two block walk to Union Square.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels on a budget

I know the owners of the San Remo (they are brothers) and I think it's a big step up from a hostel. They went through H-E-double-breadsticks to get a hotel permit from the city and paid a huge price to do so (as opposed to requiring a 3 night stay .. they paid $250K for the privilege in the 1980s).

It's a labor of love and I think they're efforts show in the reviews. And yes, it's a great location.

8. Re: Hotels on a budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 05:16