We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advantage to a Saturday vs. mid-week only in Feb.

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any advantage to a Saturday vs. mid-week only in Feb.

Aside from the fact that my room will cost a few dollars more on Fri and Sat vs mid week, can anyone come up with any comments on any advantages there may be in extending my trip one day to cover a Saturday?

Trip is the last week of Feb 2014. If it was summer I'd definitely include a weekend to increase any chance of farmers/arts markets, street fairs, street music but that time of year I'm not too sure what might be happening. To me, even February seems like outdoor weather, but I'm pretty sue locals consider it winter.

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,257 reviews
from US$99.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir...
1,577 reviews
from US$117.00*
Best Seller
Big Bus San Francisco Sightseeing and...
209 reviews
from US$110.00*
Best Seller
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods and...
2,472 reviews
from US$62.00*
San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any advantage to a Saturday vs. mid-week only in Feb.

Who cares if the locals consider it winter, to you it will be summer! By all means extend your trip another day; you will find plenty to do, outdoor activities included. A warm jacket, hat, gloves and an umbrella are all that is needed here. Check closer to the week you are arriving for an exact schedule of events, concerts, ballets, symphonies.

Street fairs will be scarce, but you can always count on a few buskers near tourist sights to have street music.

Check out the Ferry Building for a year-round high-end farmer's market inside, then take a ferry to Sausalito for a great view of the bay and the City.

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Any advantage to a Saturday vs. mid-week only in Feb.

Thanks for the quick response. I've got to book my ticket this week and I'm starting to panic on the stuff I haven't checked out yet, sigh.

I'll be in San Francisco for 5 nights regardless, I worded that badly in the OP. I'm still working on the distribution of those nights. I just don't want to get there and find out there's all sorts of cool things happening ONLY on Saturdays that I haven't found out about yet.

Good to know there will be a few buskars around that time of year. I have a weekness for listening to street musicians.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any advantage to a Saturday vs. mid-week only in Feb.

So, I had a look at the average high temp. in late February in Whitehorse, YT and found that it's about 20F. It NEVER (well, never say never but you get my drift) gets that cold here -- at any time of day or night. You'll probably think it's shorts and t-shirts weather with highs probably in the 50s, maybe low 60s if it's a particularly nice day.

While street fairs are more of a summer thing, there are famer's markets around town all year round. And the large one at the Ferry Building is Saturday.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,797 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any advantage to a Saturday vs. mid-week only in Feb.

You mentioned (street) music, so I'm going to suggest that you might check some of the larger music venues (Fillmore, Warfield, etc.) and maybe even some of the larger clubs and see if there isn't someone playing around the beginning or end of your trip. It's a little far out to be checking for Feb dates, but some of the major acts and/or larger stages may have dates booked. (Ditto on the larger clubs.)

You might check some of these websites for shows, they're also likely to have other events listed as well (but as mentioned it's early to expect everything to be calendared). I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones that came to me off the top of my head: www.sfweekly.com, sfgate.com. and sfstation.com

Also agree with Dahlia's observation. It's kind of like when the first cooler days in the 50s hit in the fall and everybody digs out their winter coat, boots, hats, etc . . . and when these temps return in later winter/early spring everybody starts wearing t-shirts, shorts, sandals, etc. I think you'll find SF pleasantly warm compared to what you'll be coming from.

Lastly, if you enjoy movies at all you might check what's playing at the Castro. They used to have their dates set well in advance (you could pick up a sheet which covered months), but it seems like they only list things on their website out about a month or so in advance (at least the last few times I've checked that's all I've seen).

Hope this helps,

hlo

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,645 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any advantage to a Saturday vs. mid-week only in Feb.

I don't think there's any particular reason to stay an extra day just because it's Saturday.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any advantage to a Saturday vs. mid-week only in Feb.

It depends what you'd like to plan. The ferry building farmers market is on a Saturday if you want to see that, but I wouldn't consider it a must for everyone. If you're looking at free tours with sfcityguides.org, there might be some tours offered on weekend days that aren't during other days you're here (and the reverse is true, also).

If you don't find these things and others mentioned compelling differences then being here only on weekdays will work just fine.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,122 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any advantage to a Saturday vs. mid-week only in Feb.

I wouldn't spend an extra day just because it's Saturday.

I WOULD spend an extra day just because it's San Francisco! :-)

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Any advantage to a Saturday vs. mid-week only in Feb.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Doesn't seem to be any particular reason to include a Saturday which makes life a lot simpler for me. Now time to book the plane tickets!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,577 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any advantage to a Saturday vs. mid-week only in Feb.

The only things that I can think of that might be ONLY on a Saturday would be specific concerts and performances. And of course, it's probably too early to know those yet. Or if there is a huge conference Monday-Thursday, I'd slide your dates around toward the end of the week to enjoy the downtown area when it's a little less crowded.

10. Re: Any advantage to a Saturday vs. mid-week only in Feb.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:16