We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4th of July

Perth, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
4th of July

I am planning on driving from LA to San Francisco on the 2nd of July 2014 with my wife and two young kids 8 & 10. Where would be the best place to enjoy our 1st 4th of July. Any suggestions on Hotels etc would be greatly appreciated as this will be our 1st time in the USA.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4th of July

I see you also posted this in the California forum, which I think is the better spot.

There are fireworks displays in SF along the waterfront but July can often be foggy which has been known to obscure them.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,689 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4th of July

Fourth of July, in my mind, is a quintessentially "small town" experience... a parade with fire trucks and the high school band, picnic, fireworks at night. So some of the suburbs of SF (like San Ramon) will offer that, or some of the smaller towns en route between LA and SF. (Are you driving between on just the one day, and are asking about the holiday in SF, or are you taking several days for the drive [as recommended] and looking for somewhere along the way to do the holiday?)

SF doesn't have a parade or picnicing, but we do have fireworks from Fisherman's Wharf. If you go, and are staying elsewhere, be prepared to walk back to your hotel afterwards, as public transit and traffic are overwhelmed for a couple of hours.

As for where to stay in SF, see the Top Questions (to the right, on a full computer, not a mobile device) for an analysis of the different areas to determine which your party might prefer.

Perth, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4th of July

Thanks for your replies. I am driving from LA and taking a couple of days to do this. In planning stage now so trying to out if I should be in San Fran for 4th or somewhere else along the highway1.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,122 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4th of July

Personally, I love Fourth of July in SF. They have a great fireworks display and I have yet to experience the flashy fog event that I have heard so much about. This is one of those instances where staying at Fisherman's Wharf (SF locals please cover your ears and refrain from throwing rotten vegetation at me) might be in order since you have kids. The Argonaut is the only choice since it is at the end of the touristy souvenir hawking gauntlet that is Fisherman's Wharf. From there you can escape to a nice park next door and have good views and a little bit of peace. Also, the fireworks would be right out your door...so maybe not so peaceful on the 4th itself.

5. Re: 4th of July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:17