We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mascone Center Hotel

MI
Level Contributor
56 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Mascone Center Hotel

I booked a conference Jan 9-13 and the conference block hotels have sold out. I need to book a hotel in the area, but noticed most of the cheaper hotels are to the north/west of Market Street. Question, how difficult is it to travel by foot, cab, cable car etc… from the west area to the mascone center? Any good suggestions on hotels in the sub 200 per night range?

Thanks,

Dennis

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mascone Center Hotel

Here's a link to one of the TOP QUESTIONS (on the right of this page)

Budget hotels in the Union Square Area

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k628810…

Union Square would be quite walkable from Union Square, and would enable you to clear your head in the crisp air.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,997 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mascone Center Hotel

It's hard for us to tell you how easy it is to get to Moscone without knowing which hotels you're considering (or at least which area). North and west of Market could be 4 blocks from Moscone Center (if you're looking at Union Square) or 2 miles (if you're looking at Fisherman's Wharf) or further if all the downtown hotels are booked and you're looking at places like the Seal Rock Inn, a good 6 miles to the west.

But the above-referenced FAQ will give you some ideas of areas to check out which are relatively short public transit distance to the conference. Or if there is a shuttle to the conference and you want to be on that route, tell us which hotels it stops at, and we might be able to suggest nearby alternates.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mascone Center Hotel

Moscone is about a 10 minute walk from Union Square.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mascone Center Hotel

Rates are pretty high for your dates.

The best deal I'm seeing on Kayak right now is for the Villa Florence hotel at 190 dollars per night. With tax that will be about $220 a night. It's a decent hotel and easily walkable to the Moscone Center.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,066 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mascone Center Hotel

Do not choose a hotel on any of the numbered streets west of Moscone Center, i.e. 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th. This is not a desirable area.

You want to be across Market Street, to the north in the Financial District, or slightly northwest in the Union Square area. The Villa Florence, in the Union Square area would be about 6 blocks. It is a nice hotel with a good restaurant.

If you want a lovely boutique hotel which usually does not have convention impact, and more reasonable prices at those times, look at the Chancellor. This is two blocks above the Villa Florence, on Powell St.

MI
Level Contributor
56 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mascone Center Hotel

I held the Pickwick hotel, uh until I can find something better.... its on 5th street... I wasn't sure about the distance to union square.... all the conference hotels are right next door and pricey.... don't think there is a shuttle....

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mascone Center Hotel

The Pickwick would work.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,066 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mascone Center Hotel

Ummm... you can do a lot better than the Pickwick. Follow up on the two other hotels we suggested, the Villa Florence and the Chancellor. If those don't work, look at the Top Questions on the right side of this screen (not from the app, but on a computer). Let us know what you find so that we can advise and get you into a nice hotel near the Convention Center.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,106 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mascone Center Hotel

Please do post the actual hotel for location advise which you cannot get but there is some self help here

Go to maps.google.com and type in Moscone center in one box and the hotel in the other and click on the walk icon and you can see how far

Also TA has reviews that you can read on each hotel

But how crummy or nice is the location ? Only the fine folks here can advise you

Edited: 27 November 2013, 02:48
MI
Level Contributor
56 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mascone Center Hotel

Ok, so I looked at the two hotels. Nice and the price is right. A bit far to walk... how are the cabs and other forms of public transportation? I will have to review the list of budget hotels later when I get a free moment or two. Thanks for the advice. I'm sure you all can attest, some times it better to stay close the the conference for the convenience... but the cost is so prohibitive.

Is the pickwick real bad or will it 'do'.... I don't need 4 star, just clean and safe as possible. Location is a huge bonus. How is the area around the mascone center? I assume it is safe to walk around at night? or evening at least.

d

D