We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough itinerary for the new year

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Rough itinerary for the new year

Hi everyone,

I've received so much great input, and it's all taking shape. Here is my rough itinerary for the week of the new year. As we get into December, I'll be calling around to see what is closed for the holidays:

12/31 (Tuesday)

Arrive SFO around 10am. BART to Nob Hill, where I'll be staying. Hopefully I can get settled by noon.

Head to the Asian Art Museum, hopefully in time to ring the bell. I've confirmed that there's a City Hall tour at 2pm (they run every day M-F), and I was told that I cannot make a reservation, because I'm not a party of 8 or more. If I have time, I may also try to check out the Main Library.

For lunch and dinner, I may have to forego a traditional restaurant and just try to catch a pub that is open for happy hour. I should probably go to a grocery store before I head out for the night.

I won't be too rowdy at the fireworks show. I have a full day ahead.

1/1 (Wednesday)

This is my GoldenGateBridge/hiking day. I'll try and see what is open for breakfast, maybe getting some pork buns in Chinatown. If renting a bike looks like a good idea, then I'll see if I can do that. I'll travel around the trails in that area in the morning, including the 1pm Presidio bus tour (if they are running).

If the bike takes me to the Legion of Honor, then I can cross that off the list a day early. Depending on daylight and my adventures, I may end up at the Beach Chalet for an early dinner. Or if I'm in the Golden Gate area, then hopefully I can get a shepherd's pie at Liverpool Lil's.

1/2 (Thursday)

This is an art day. I'll be looking for an early breakfast, maybe at Dottie's or Pinecrest Diner.

Then it's off to the Botanical Gardens, Japanese Tea Garden, and de Young Museum. The afternoon will be taken up by the Legion of Honor or relaxing in Golden Gate Park (if I saw that museum the day before). Lunch will be somewhere nearby.

Hoping to get some chowder at Bar Crudo, then it'll be off to the FirstThursday art walks. The Upper TL artwalk is near to Lers Ros (on Larkin), which means I can get some late night pork belly.

1/3 (Friday)

Beer and art day. Breakfast will be at Tartine or Mission Beach Cafe.

In the morning, I'll walk the Mission area to look at the murals. Precita Eyes is not giving a tour on that day, but I'm hoping I can get a map of the murals and make my own tour. Somewhere along the way, I'll get a burrito and check out some of the Mission Art galleries, such as the Hosfelt Gallery.

At 1pm, I've booked the tour of the Anchor Brewery. I've also booked a brewery tour of Speakeasy at 3:30. Hopefully I'll be able to talk beer with beer people. It's something I always look forward to doing when I travel.

Dinner will be at Mission Chinese or Alamo Seafood Grill. Or whatever, I guess. And then I'll see where Friday night takes me.

1/4 (Saturday)

This is sort of a "fudge" day. I'll try to get to the Ferry Building in the morning for breakfast (and the farmer's market). But after that, it's sort of wide open. I can explore some of the neighborhoods I've missed. Get a sandwich at Ike's. And I have to catch Trader Joe's at some point. I am from Hawaii. I have a list of things I need to get from Trader Joe's.

1/5 (Sunday)

My flight leaves in the early afternoon. Plenty of time to clean up, get a nice breakfast, and get to the airport.

So much of the itinerary (as well as the long list of contingency options) were researched and suggested here on TripAdvisor. Thank you all for all of your advice. I know I'm going to have a great time.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,106 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rough itinerary for the new year

We are keeping an eye on you on the 31st. To make sure you are NOT rowdy. LOL

Bar Crudo. - one serving of the chowda is not enough but it is rich so beware , seeing the open kitchen make the chowder is half the fun and it bubbles for sometime and they pour it into the bowl and you wait a anxiously for the server to bring it to you ....

The inside of Liverpool lil's is dark and cozy and when they bring that shepherds pie ooh.....

back to Your post..looks good. This is a great plan and do write a TR when you are back home in warm Hawaii

We have eyes on you

Edited: 27 November 2013, 09:34
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rough itinerary for the new year

Looks like a nice plan. Just a couple of comments:

1. City Hall Tour -- I took this once and enjoyed it a lot. Our guide was long winded and it took almost 2 hours. Beautiful building. There were only a handful of people on the tour. It meets at the info desk on the Polk St side of the rotunda.

2. If by "Presidio Bus Tour" you mean the PresidiGo "Shuttle Through Time" I do not think any of the PresidiGo routes (either shuttles or tours) will be running on January 1.

3. Right now at the Legion of Honor is a special exhibit of Anders Zorn. Definitely worth a visit so I would hold off on the Legion until it's open.

4. de Young has Hockney and Bulgari right now, and as mentioned, the Legion has Zorn. Done in one day General Admission is good at both museums. There are surcharges for the special exhibitions. Everyone is going ga-ga for Hockney. I find his methods and the exhibition fascinating if a bit over stimulating. Overall I prefer the Zorn, but it's a personal preference thing.

The cafes at both museums are good, albeit overpriced. Near the de Young there are a lot of dining options around 9th and Irving. At the Legion head toward Clement and 25th. If you're really hungry try the Hard Knox Café. There's also a Mediterranean place that's good too.

Sounds like a nice trip. Have fun.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rough itinerary for the new year

Thank you both for your replies. I'll be on my best behavior. I need to be. I spent a lot of time planning out my breakfast contingencies.

Too bad about the Presidio Bus Tour. But it helps make things more flexible, so there's a silver lining. I'll cobble together some online resources and make my own (bike) tour. In earlier times, I would have been one of those people who stops on the side of the road to read the AAA guidebook.

And I am glad to have my reciprocal museum memberships, which will relieve the pressure to see both museums in one day. My local museum director has put the Hockney exhibit on the must-see list, since one of the works has some sort of Hawaii connection.

Will budget a couple of hours for the city hall tour. I love a good tour of a public building.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,729 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rough itinerary for the new year

Bike tour of the Presidio? With your interests in art, I am assuming you will be hitting the Goldsworthy installations. presidio.gov/explore/…20Accessible.pdf

presidio.gov/explore/…20Accessible.pdf

I have been meaning to go see Tree Fall but keep missing the closing time. If you are biking, just know that Arguello is one big hill. Can't remember if Pacific is just as bad. Might be easier to hike instead.

Edited: 28 November 2013, 20:48
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,729 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rough itinerary for the new year

If you do make it on your bike to the Richmond District (south of the Presidio and west of Arguello), you can bike in Mountain Lake Park until Park Presidio to be away from cars. Then go back on Lake Ave where there is a bike lane but still be careful with parked cars and idiots speeding by. If you use Google map and put on the bike option, it will give your preferred routes. Then make your way over to Legion of Honor. Make sure you stop off along Camino Del Mar for the views of the GGB. Eagles Nest is a good photo spot. My wedding save the date one was taken here ; )

Clement St is the place to go for food. Hard Knox is great for mac and cheese and hardy foods. Yummy yummy corn bread muffins. Not sure if you want more Asian food since you are from Hawaii, but 100% Sweet Cafe near hard Knox is a Hong Kong style dessert and snacks place. Pineapple Kingdom is similar down the street near ?30th Ave. I am pretty sure most places on Clement will be open. The places from Arguello to 11th Ave for sure. You can get more take out dim sum or other quick bites here.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rough itinerary for the new year

<<Can't remember if Pacific is just as bad.>> I think chinita means Presidio, not Pacific. Both are pretty steep, Arguello a bit more so. But Woodline is on Presidio and the "The Spire" just off Arguello.

"Tree Fall" is interesting but as it's in a building it won't be open on New Year's Day (in fact, it is only open weekends).

There is a Goldsworthy in the forecourt of the de Young as well.

(Lake Blvd? I've always known it as Lake Street ... but that is chinita's area.)

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,729 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rough itinerary for the new year

You got me WD!! We have always referred to Lake as AVE in our family but apparently it is Street. I will point this out to the person who grew up on California St one block over. :p

As for the hill, I was looking at the map I linked above and wondered if Pacific Ave with the green line is a hill. But yes OP (are you he or she or preferred to be mysterious?) still have to come up Presidio. I am not that strong of a biker. But I have walked back to the Richmond from the Marina via the Lyons Steps and Laurel Heights.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,729 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rough itinerary for the new year

Oy vey... and the vista point is Eagle's Point, not Nest. http://goo.gl/maps/HG79M

It is a great spot if not foggy. Don't walk on the golf course green as a shortcut though. I cringe every time I see tourists do that.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rough itinerary for the new year

Aloha. Sounds like you will be having a great time. Several comments:

1. Nob Hill is an actual hill. BART stops at the bottom of the hill so you will need to walk uphill.

2. SF Main library us doing good wirk providing services for our homeless. Just know what to expect when visiting the library …sfgate.com/bayarea/article/S-F-library-s-ma… and salon.com/2013/…

3. Sat is farmers market at the Ferry Building so will be lots of fun if you like fresh food. For ideas, check out tripadvisor.com/Guide-g60713-i113676-San_Fra…

4. You can also rent bikes at the Presidio from the Sports Basement.

5. No cable car? If you stop at the Embarcadero BART station and din't have luggage (say only a backpack), you could take the California Cable car line up Nob Hill. If you do plan on taking cable car (and buses), think about picking a MUNI pass to save $$.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rough itinerary for the new year

I just awoke to the fact that the de Young and Legion will be open on New Year's Day.

As to Al's #4 above ... I don't get the recommendation of renting bikes at Sports Basement unless one has a car to get there. It's close to a mile to the nearest SF bus stop. And that bus stop is 30-40 minutes from downtown.