We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Happening in San Francisco - Jan 12 - 14?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
38,724 posts
1,078 reviews
Save Topic
What is Happening in San Francisco - Jan 12 - 14?

We travel to San Francisco 1 - 3x per month, and usually book hotels as far out as possible.

I am curious, as to what is happening in San Francisco on Jan 12 - 14? I tried to book at 5 favorite hotels, and even in ones, where we are top-tier loyalty program members, everyone was sold out. Most are in the Union SQ, Financial District, or SOMA area, and my booking attempts were two months out.

I searched many of the convention/tourism Web sites, and studied their calendar of events, seeing nothing listed - the week before, or for a few weeks after, but nothing for that time.

We did find a room at the Hyatt, on Embarcadero, so we are taken care of, but curiosity just got the better of me - I usually can find big conventions, marathons, parades and festivals, and book around them, one way, or the other, but here, I am stumped.

TIA

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,971 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Happening in San Francisco - Jan 12 - 14?

The Annual meetings of the Critical Care Congress begin on Jan 12.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Happening in San Francisco - Jan 12 - 14?

There's also another large meeting coming in on the 19th and these things often take up rooms on either side as attendees decide to add time on: portal.sanfrancisco.travel/calendar_public/

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
38,724 posts
1,078 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Happening in San Francisco - Jan 12 - 14?

Thank you.

On one Web site, I saw mention of that, but the attendee numbers seemed far too small to really matter in San Francisco - maybe they were off by a decimal point?

Appreciated.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Happening in San Francisco - Jan 12 - 14?

SF has about 33,000 hotel rooms, which is not that many. So conventions of 10,000 or so definitely put pressure on rates. And there are meetings that, for some reason, don't show up on SF Travel's list.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,971 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is Happening in San Francisco - Jan 12 - 14?

Glad to hear you found a hotel. Good location, I have never stayed there, but I LOVE the lobby.

**For anyone else in your situation who is following this thread........

I am really wondering if the hotels are not putting out their vacancies for the middle of January. It seems strange to me because I made three hotel reservations for November, January, and February in September. I checked one of our favorites in the Union Square area, the Donatello. They report no vacancies, but they are a member of the Shell Hospitality Group, which sells vacation weeks.

They have two other properties in the city, Inn at the Opera and Suites at Fisherman's Wharf, so they listed them as having vacancies for that time. Inn at the Opera is across Van Ness Avenue, so not in the central area. I have heard good things about it, and the public transportation in the city es excellent.

White Dahlia, as I remember, knows something about the property.

The Suites at Fisherman's Wharf are lovely, but, from what I understand, pricey.

If you are having problems getting reservations, do not just depend upon Hotline, Expedia, etc. etc. Call the hotels directly.

Edited: 30 November 2013, 23:29
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is Happening in San Francisco - Jan 12 - 14?

INTERESTING!

I am having the same trouble!

Hope we get an answer!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is Happening in San Francisco - Jan 12 - 14?

portal.sanfrancisco.travel/calendar_public/

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is Happening in San Francisco - Jan 12 - 14?

J-Salinsky ... answer to what? A response to why Jan 12-14 is heavily booked is provided in post #1 and 2 above. If your dates are different then the link that Sutter provided can provide information. But you can pretty well bet if things are booked up that some sort of large meeting/convention/event is booked for that time.

9. Re: What is Happening in San Francisco - Jan 12 - 14?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2014, 05:16