We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RE: Taxi from San Francisco Int > Sunnyvale

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
RE: Taxi from San Francisco Int > Sunnyvale

I'm just wanting to find out how much it would cost for me to get a taxi from San Francisco Int to Sunnyvale (right near the apple firm).

I obviously don't want my first landing experience to be me getting ripped off because I'm not from around there, but also the host who I am staying with can pick me up for $70 is it worth paying her or getting a taxi? Which is cheaper?

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Sunnyvale
Sunnyvale
California
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RE: Taxi from San Francisco Int > Sunnyvale

You should post your question in San Francisco forum.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g60713-i30-San_F…

Support Forum is for asking general questions on how to use TripAdvisor website, how to find things on it and how to use its many features.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: RE: Taxi from San Francisco Int > Sunnyvale

Hi Shari,

As Hans mentioned, your topic was initially misplaced in the Support forum. I'm dropping in to mention that we've moved it here, to the San Francisco forums where it will likely be more visible to those who are in the know. Good luck with your research and trip!

Thanks for participating,

TA_Louise

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,212 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RE: Taxi from San Francisco Int > Sunnyvale

Apple is a giant in Silicon Valley so to say in sunnyvale near apple does not mean anything as apple has so many locations. The Apple HQ is in Cupertino. In any case Sunnyvale is over 15 miles from SFO so you may be charged more beyond a distance. I think 70 ( a fixed rate) would be cheaper than a regular cab.

Www.supershuttle.com has shuttle services that offer shared rides that may be cheaper

Mentioned in this post
Silicon Valley
Silicon Valley
58 Reviews
California
Cupertino
Cupertino
California
Sunnyvale
Sunnyvale
California
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RE: Taxi from San Francisco Int > Sunnyvale

Your post is a little confusing. Your "host" is willing to pick you up for $70? Doesn't sound like much hospitality.

Anyway, I would check a door-to-door shuttle prices. Super Shuttle is one.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco Shuttle Tours
San Francisco Shuttle...
1,039 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,321 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RE: Taxi from San Francisco Int > Sunnyvale

According to www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=SF, the fare should be around $86 + tip in normal traffic.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: RE: Taxi from San Francisco Int > Sunnyvale

At the airport there's a place that lists different transportation options. (if you can't find it, the people at the info booth can point you there). I recommend hiring a town car over a cab; they're much nicer and a bit cheaper (maybe $90 to Sunnyvale vs. maybe $120. Don't quote me. I did this once over a year ago). It is possible to get a town car at the last min. I think I waited 10 min for it to arrive. Most shuttle services are shared; in my experience, I've never been dropped off first, so that adds extra time. Not sure if your host expects a tip but $70 might be the best rate for a solo pickup.

Edited: 03 December 2013, 16:46
Mentioned in this post
Sunnyvale
Sunnyvale
California
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,311 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RE: Taxi from San Francisco Int > Sunnyvale

I agree the $70 for your host might be a good deal. We are all curious.... what kind of host is this? A family hosting you as a student or business person?

As for the towncar, I just looked into this for an upcoming trip for us to SFO. I am in Santa Clara just next to Sunnyvale. It will cost about $100-120.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Clara
Santa Clara
California
Sunnyvale
Sunnyvale
California
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,588 posts
6,177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RE: Taxi from San Francisco Int > Sunnyvale

Other option is to go by Cal Train ....and see if your host can then pick you up there.

Catch Bart at SFO in the terminal to Millbrae Bart Station

Then transfer to Cal Train and get off at the Sunnyvale Station.

http://www.bart.gov/stations/mlbr

http://www.caltrain.com/

It depends how much luggage you have with you

but did want to suggest this alternative if traveling "light"

Edited: 03 December 2013, 22:37
Mentioned in this post
Millbrae
Millbrae
California
Sunnyvale
Sunnyvale
California
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: RE: Taxi from San Francisco Int > Sunnyvale

chinita, that's funny. When I did this, I remember the towncar was less than $100. (but more than $70). Maybe prices changed. Or maybe it wasn't an official towncar? I don't know. It was a black car and much nicer than a taxi. I arranged it at the last minute @ SFO + it was cheaper than a cab. I had "only" flown from the east coast (vs. the OP, coming from across the pond) and I appreciated having a nicer car and professional service.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,212 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RE: Taxi from San Francisco Int > Sunnyvale

Dear Mini. With due respect you cannot catch BART from SFO to Millbrae during the normal business day until 7 PM. After 7pm and on weekends the same SFO train goes to Millbrae.

You have to get off at San Bruno and then catch the. Millbrae bound train so it is a bit of a shuffle

Have a wonderful evening...

Mentioned in this post
Millbrae
Millbrae
California
San Bruno
San Bruno
California