We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to San Francisco Cruise Port from the Airport

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling to San Francisco Cruise Port from the Airport

I am travelling alone to meet a friend on a cruise. I arrive in San Francisco a day before the cruise ship arrives and docks; I have two questions:

1) Where should I plan to stay, near airport, more central or by the port? (is the port a good place for me to wander around the next day?)

2) Should I get a taxi to the port, and how much is it likely to cost?

I'm quite a stressful traveller and like to have things in order. Answers are much appreciated!!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,265 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to San Francisco Cruise Port from the Airport

First, SF is compact. Most of the major hotel concentrations can get you to the cruise port in 15 minutes plus or minus (either walking or MUNI). Thus, I don't think you should base where you want to be based totally on how close you'll be to where they dock.

Second, the general forum advice is to *not* stay near SFO (the airport) when visiting SF. There are some exceptions, but they don't seem to apply in your case. Absent more details, such as when your flight arrives, I'd say don't even consider an airport hotel.

Thus, I suggest you consider hotels in the 3 main areas. In order of usual preference by forum regulars: Union Square, Embarcadero, and (ugh) Fisherman's Wharf.

If you look at the Top Questions (right hand side on a non-mobile device), you will see one that covers this topic and has link to threads with the pros & cons to each area.

Given what you've told us, I'd say look at Uniin Square & Embacadreo. Might favor Embarcadero slightly given the "cruise connection" aspect. That said, consideration of other aspects (such as budget, "bargains", what elae you plan to do, day if the week, etc) might lead me to favor Union Square.

That's my $.02,

hlo

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to San Francisco Cruise Port from the Airport

I concur with HLO. As for getting from SFO to your hotel, I recommend BART (http://www.bart.gov). Powell Station is walking distance from most Union Square hotels, and Embarcadero is near several more hotels. If you decide to stay in Fisherman's Wharf (shudder), you can pick up a taxi at the stand in front of the Hyatt Regency, which is located at Montgomery Station.

FYI, I do not recommend taking the Muni F streetcar to the Cruise Terminal with luggage unless you are traveling there in the early morning. The streetcars are way too crowded. You should walk, take a taxi, or hop on Muni's 8X bus line instead. Pier 35 is just across the street from the end of the line for the 8X.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to San Francisco Cruise Port from the Airport

Our cruise port is along the waterfront, (also known as the Embarcadero) on the east edge of what is known as Fisherman's Wharf...

The Embarcadero, Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square are all good neighborhoods... Of course you always need to be aware, but none have any special threats... You would have a wonderful time wandering the Embarcadero from the ferry building to the Cruse port... This was the City's port in the past but today is restaurants and such...

Randy

All are easy to access via Bart, or via taxi... Taxi costs more...

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,097 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to San Francisco Cruise Port from the Airport

To have things in order , please start with the top questions on the right. They are available on this website or via post 2 on the SF forum on a mobile site

That should give you a great overview of what to do, where to stay what to see and there is a map to show you attractions as well

5. Re: Travelling to San Francisco Cruise Port from the Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 05:17