We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
336 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

Google Maps suggests to walk to Geary Blvd & Powell St, take the 38 towards Richmond District and get off at Geary & Laguna and walk to hotel on Sutter St.

Is this the same as walking up to Sutter St and taking the 3 bus to Buchanan St and I will be right at the hotel?

Just wanted clarification since it looks like the 3 bus would also do the job from looking at the Muni map but it doesn't come up on any of the Google suggested routes nor at other sites either. Could it be the 3 bus does not run as often?

Thank you for your help.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,407 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

Your options are 38-Geary, 3-Buchanan, and 2-Clement. The 38 runs much more frequently and has limited (express that only make certain stops) lines.

But sometimes the 38 is very very crowded from around Union Square. I have walked to an earlier stop with luggage to get a seat. What day of the week and time are you arriving at the Powell Bart station?

You can check Next Muni sfmta.com/getting-around/…3-jackson

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

<<Your options are 38-Geary, 3-Buchanan, and 2-Clement>>

(The name of the 3 bus is "Jackson.") The 3-Jackson doesn't run as often as the 38 (whether it be Local or Limited) although it's not nearly as crowded either.

The 2-Clement doesn't run particularly late -- the last bus outbound bus leaves Union Square around 8:15PM. (And thinking that Muni adheres to all its schedules is folly.)

Another option ... which I throw out but wouldn't necessarily recommend unless this is rather early in the morning ... get off BART at 16th and Mission and catch the 22-Fillmore and get off on Fillmore at Sutter. You'll be 2 blocks from the hotel.

If you have much luggage Muni isn't a great option. If you want to catch a cab, take BART to Embarcadero. Cabs line up on Davis Street between California and Pine. Cab fare to the Tomo will be $20 or so.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,407 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

Sorry I was typing too fast and got the name wrong.

I have also exited BART at the Montgomery station and walked to the 38 or 2 stops. If you use Google from Montgomery Station to Hotel Tomo, it will give you options for all 3 buses (3, 2, 38). Better chance of getting a seat here. But agree with WD still not most convenient if you have more than a carryon size luggage.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
336 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

THANK YOU for all the helpful information.

I will be arriving Christmas Day around noon. I'll mull over the different scenarios. We will only have one small carry-on so being too bulky/walking won't be a problem.

Can someone tell me if the buses run both directions on the same street? On the Muni map I notice it sometimes has an arrow so then I can see that the bus run a certain direction but most of the lines are just lines. For example if I use the 47 to on Van Ness to the wharf, is there a 47 on the opposite side of the street to go back the same way I came?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

Christmas Day the buses will be running on a holiday schedule (akin to Sundays) so not with the frequency of a weekday.

Buses will run on the same street inbound and outbound IF that is a two-way street. However, many streets in downtown SF are not. For example the 3-Jackson runs outbound on Sutter, inbound on Post. The 38-Geary runs outbound on Geary, inbound on O'Farrell.

Van Ness is a two way street so the 47-Van Ness runs in both directions.

As mentioned earlier, www.nextmuni.com is an excellent resource for locating the bus stops for every line, in- and outbound.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
336 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

Thanks. That was very helpful. Now fun for the rest of the planning.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,407 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

I don't think it will be too crowded on that day. If it were me, I would take the 38 as it would run more often. I am guessing 2 and 3 will be every 20-40 mins.

Take BART to Montgomery Station. Pop out on Market and Montgomery and proceed less than one block to the bus stop on Market and Montgomery in front of the McKesson Building. I hope it shows up here. It's the bus shelter with the yellow roof. http://goo.gl/maps/6PYXC If you swing around on Google map on this spot, it will show the BART exit. If you don't come out this one, the other exits are just catty corner and not far away.

This is the way I used to travel home from college at Berkeley and later from SFO to the Richmond District on the 38-Geary for many many years.

Edited: 09 December 2013, 02:35
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

Chinita is correct IF you are going as far as the Richmond. The Richmond is her comfort area. However, the 3-Jackson doesn't go to the Richmond.

You can catch the 2-Clement or 3-Jackson from the same bus stop. There is an exit from Montgomery BART that will bring you to Sutter and Sansome. Both the 2-Clement and 3-Jackson stop on Sutter at Sansome.

Being able to use either route makes them as frequent at the 38. And both will drop you off in front of your hotel.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,407 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

That sounds good too. There is no stop for all 3 though right? Either way, I think OP has options on Christmas Day with carryon luggage.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Powell St Bart Station to Hotel Tomo in Japantown

<<There is no stop for all 3 though right? >>

Gosh I guess I do all the heavy lifting around here.

The 38 does stop at Market and Sansome. If the OP is savvy enough to figure out that triangular spot of town they might be able to finagle it. The upside to the 2-Clement or 3-Jackson is getting off immediately in front of their hotel.