We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Napa in early January - wardrobe

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, PR
2 posts
Save Topic
Napa in early January - wardrobe

So I have read over and over again that January is rainy season for Napa. I also see that the forecast (even though I know it is too far to be precise) says that during the time that I will be there, they are expecting above average rain.

Sooooo... since most of my travel experience is to beach destinations, I must ask... what do I pack??? Will regular boots work, or would you recommend rain boots? Is there any boots you recommend that will work for daily wear and rain? I see the weather varies from high 50's to 30's, so I will probably be wearing leggings and layers...

Also, any extra tips on my visit welcomed!!!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Napa in early January - wardrobe

You might consider posting on the Napa forum.

However, unless you're planning on going for long walks I doubt rain boots would be required

Our rain storms come in down from Alaska in bands. So you might encounter 1-3 days of rain but you might also be between storms and have 1-5 days of clear, albeit cold, days.

Layers are definitely recommended. Be aware too that if you're going on any winery tours, that the caves are quite cold as well. (This is more noticeable in summer.)

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,079 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Napa in early January - wardrobe

Id take jeans and leggings, sweaters, scarves, rain coat, boots...no need for rainboots though, it wont be torrents of water running down the streets or anything. Go with layers to adjust based on temps.

California
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Napa in early January - wardrobe

California just isn't that cold in the winter. It may rain but it might not. It's rare for the area to have too much rain but in some years that's what happens.

So, layers. jeans, slacks, layered shirt, sweater, jacket, scarf (windbreaker) and boots. Most restaurants don't mind informal wear. This is a farming area gone upscale.

Do some research on the web as to what to see and do. The main roads are fine but some of the roads through the mountains can be quite narrow and have lots of curves. Make reservations at some of the smaller wineries and contact others in advance. Have fun!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,008 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Napa in early January - wardrobe

The temps you're seeing in the 30s will be late at night, so probably not something you'll need to worry about. During the day, mid-to-high-50s is probably right. So jeans, pants, sweaters, jackets, etc. should be fine, with some type of waterproof coat and hat in case you're caught outside in the rain. (The wineries, by the way, are basically farms, so the parking lots and paths can be muddy in the rain.)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,835 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Napa in early January - wardrobe

>>>>I also see that the forecast (even though I know it is too far to be precise) says that during the time that I will be there, they are expecting above average rain.<<<

"Above average rain"? Don't we wish. Too many drought years. I don't know who is forecasting the above average rain, but I am skeptical

As above, the advice to plan on dressing in layers is right on, so that you can add or peel off depending upon the temperature, etc.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,420 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Napa in early January - wardrobe

Shoes - like I recommended in another thread - find some water resistant or proof light trail hikers. Like Susan said, it can be muddy there even without rain. Non cotton socks best. Not sure if you are going to SF too but visitors tend to do a lot of walking so would also work there.

Layer and more layers. You don't need wool scarves but even the thin ones that one can wear in Miami will be sufficient to keep the chill out. I rotate through a handful of infinity scarves and pashimas.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,501 posts
5,254 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Napa in early January - wardrobe

Just spent a wonderful 5 and 1/2 days in Napa

we found that many people (men/women) were wearing boots - weather was chilly. All types of boots (none were rain).

If cold, people tend to dress warmly - sweaters, scarves, jeans, etc. as already mentioned. and

If you get one of the nice January week-ends and they can happen, think layers.

Edited: 10 December 2013, 06:04
8. Re: Napa in early January - wardrobe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 December 2013, 01:35
sf
Level Contributor
3,246 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Napa in early January - wardrobe

Last January when we were there for a few days it got down below freezing at night but was in the 40's during the day. It can get especially cold it the upper Valley at wineries like Sterling, but crisp and refreshing.

10. Re: Napa in early January - wardrobe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2014, 05:18