We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

if you had to pick just one stop on the bart...

Boise, Idaho
5 posts
Save Topic
if you had to pick just one stop on the bart...

I am throwing out a hail Mary here. I have a flight at 10:30AM tomorrow, so my plan is to get to the airport at 6:30am, ride the BART downtown, have a breakfast and walk half a mile, then ride back. If you had to recommend one stop to see what San Fran is all about, what would you say? it was recommended to take embarcadero to see pier 39, but i was wanting to see cable cars and a good view, so maybe like powell?

Also, is this mission even possible in that time span? Is the Bart easy to find and ride? During rush hour?

thanks!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,369 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: if you had to pick just one stop on the bart...

Your profile say you are from san Francisco so where are you coming from ?

Plan for 45 mins each way so with 60 mins to 90 mins at security you can see that you have 60-90 mins in SF

Then add breakfast time and you can decide what you want to do

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: if you had to pick just one stop on the bart...

Use Embarcadero. Views from there (breakfast at Ferry Building). Cable cars at the foot of Market right where you exit BART (although the area around the cable car terminus is a bit torn up with construction right now).

Boise, Idaho
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: if you had to pick just one stop on the bart...

thanks. for future searchers, the 45 min travel is about correct. the route time says 30, plus a little time to find your way around. Ride airtran or your shuttle to the international terminal to look for the BART signs (probably down a level). Grab a map and price chart, then use the machines against the wall to purchase a fare card. It was 16.50 for me round trip. There's no wrong train leaving the airport- looks like they all go downtown. on the way back, make sure you get on a train that specifically says it ends at the airport, not just a train listing stops in the right directions. There are two lines and only one swings over to the airport.

Boise, Idaho
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: if you had to pick just one stop on the bart...

We did end up going to embarcadero, saw cable cars, walked theough a park and upscale shops down to the ferry terminal which was full of amazing food options. We were also able to take panorama pictures of the oakland bridge, the bay, and the san fran skyline, as well as see some of the steep hills. In all we walked in a loop around the station maybe a mile total. If you have more time, it looks like you could just jump on a trolly to the cable car museum, the pier, etc. from right there at embarcadero. Great suggestion!

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: if you had to pick just one stop on the bart...

thanks for your brief report.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,061 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: if you had to pick just one stop on the bart...

Glad it worked out!

Boise, Idaho
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: if you had to pick just one stop on the bart...

One more suggestion, even for you San Fran natives if you haven't tried it. In the Ferry market, try "Frog Hollow Farms". They make a bunch of different pastries from extremely fresh fruit, and I have never had anything like it (and I was even on my way back from Costa Rica). It is a little out of the way in the terminal (down the hall toward the bay bridge) found here: ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/…46 but they were open early and the food was just amazing!

Boise, Idaho
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: if you had to pick just one stop on the bart...

One more suggestion, even for you San Fran natives if you haven't tried it. In the Ferry market, try "Frog Hollow Farms". They make a bunch of different pastries from extremely fresh fruit, and I have never had anything like it (and I was even on my way back from Costa Rica). It is a little out of the way in the terminal (down the hall toward the bay bridge) found here: ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/…46 but they were open early and the food was just amazing!

9. Re: if you had to pick just one stop on the bart...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2014, 05:18