We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outskirts tour of San Francisco .

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Outskirts tour of San Francisco .

Hi,

Want to check where i can go for one day tour in San Francisco . I got 4 nights in downtown of San Francisco and thinking of spending one night out of the cIty.

Appreciate some good recommendation and nice places to go on my own or by tour.

thanks.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,804 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outskirts tour of San Francisco .

Yosemite would be ideal for a overnight incredible adventures or Extranomical have 1-2-3 day tours and they will take you there, show you around and find a place to stay as well

Wine county, Monterey are other options but the tours are just day tours

YNP is magical

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Outskirts tour of San Francisco .

I checked, Yosemite too far moreover on winter bus tour could be dangerous on wet road.Monterey is more on wine tour and i don't take wine.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outskirts tour of San Francisco .

You posted a question on the Yosemite forum about tours from SF. Nothing in the responses indicates dangerous roads. However, it is 4 hours each way from SF. Would I go to Yosemite before Monterey? You betcha.

If you don't drink then wine country is probably not your "cup of tea" so to speak.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,920 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outskirts tour of San Francisco .

Monterey is not about wine. Napa and Sonoma is about wine (mostly).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,804 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outskirts tour of San Francisco .

David as you know we are all strangers here and I realize that you are not from the US. In fact most of the folks who post here are not locals and don't know the area. If you have some ideas or likes or dislikes then please post them so that we can better answer your question

We did not know nor assume you don't like wines . We assumed you do not want to drive and given that you want an overnight tour, YNP is the best. If you want just a day tour to Monterey which is not about wine as TSS says, then tnat is an option,

Again did you see the list of tour companies in the top questions Please do so

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,070 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outskirts tour of San Francisco .

If you want a half-day to full-day tour outside of San Francisco, there is Muir Woods and Monterey/Carmel since you are not interested in Yosemite or wine country. If you want an overnight tour (although I don't think you have time for that, with such a short time in San Francisco), there is one guided tour that spends overnight in Monterey, from California Parlor Car Tours. www.calpartours.com/Montereyscenes.htm.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,628 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outskirts tour of San Francisco .

Do reconsider Yosemite as it is world famous and beautiful. It is only dangerous if you don't know how to drive in winter conditions. If someone else who is a reputable tour operator is driving AND they can arrange lodging this late, it is not to be missed. People usually plan Yosemite 12 months ahead.

But if that still doesn't appeal to yoi, then take a tour to Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur.

Edited: 13 December 2013, 06:11
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Outskirts tour of San Francisco .

I like going Yosemite but abit too far for a day trip and for winter firstly, i don't know whether they go. Some tours are for summer time and winter not suitable .I don't mean is dangerous road but wet condition is always a concern to me.

As this is my first trip to US,i am trying to make full use of my time there seeing more things. We don't travel so far unless we got long leave from work. Having asked so many places i will pick more convenience for my traveling.

Thank you all for your recommendation .

I think i should stay 4 days in San Francisco downtown .

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Outskirts tour of San Francisco .

The places listed so far (Napa, Monterey and Yosemite) are the most popular places for day or overnight trips near San Francisco. It sounds like they do not appeal to you for whatever reasons, but there are probably some reasons these are most popular.

Like you say, perhaps it's best to stay in San Francisco that day if you don't like these options. You certainly don't have tons of time here, so that would make sense.

I suppose if you just wanted to get out of town overnight or for the day there are some other cities you could get to by public transit. San Jose or Palo Alto are bay area cities you could get to by caltrain in around 1 to 2 hours each way. You could get to Sacramento by Bart and Amtrak in maybe 2 to 3 hours. Berkeley is 30 minutes on Bart.

Once you got to one of these places you'd have to plan things to do and frankly they're not generally offering things to do that are always a lot different than San Francisco unless there is something specific you're going for. I suppose Berkeley and Palo Alto have some museum things of different types than San Francisco since they're both large, well-known research universities. San Jose has a few museums and headquarters for some tech companies (which you generally cannot tour). Sacramento has the state capital building (which is pretty, but not necessarily so much prettier than SF City Hall) and Old Town with a train museum and shops.

For these options, Berkeley is the easiest/fastest to get to and has probably the best public transit (or ease of walking). Half a day might even be plenty to walk around campus, get a view from the top of the campanile, walk around telegraph ave and get something to eat and perhaps even visit a museum such as Berkeley Art Museum or the anthropology museum.

If none of these options appeal to you, just stay in San Francisco. It's really hard for us to suggest activities without really knowing what you want and you will not exhaust all San Francisco has to offer in 4 days.

California
Level Contributor
462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Outskirts tour of San Francisco .

Instead of an overnight, try 2 day trips using small group tours.

1.Take a small group tour that will take you through many San Francisco neighborhoods and then cross the Golden Gate Bridge to visit Muir Woods, one of California's famous redwood forests. From there you are taken to Sausalito where you can wander around and, weather permitting, take a ferry ride across the bay back to San Francisco and the Ferry Building with its many shops. I took this tour so I could see many neighborhoods I hadn't been to in years. It was a wonderful experience. I used and recommend Dylan's Tours

dylanstours.com/san-francisco-bus-tours/

2. Take a small group tour to Monterey and Carmel. I have traveled various routes to these towns many times since I grew up near San Francisco. Highway 1 is beautiful with its rugged coastline and impressive scenery. Monterey is quite historic and Carmel, a quaint town with lots of small boutique shops. This is also a day trip . I can't recommend any specific company but check out small group tours to Monterey on the web.

3. While in San Francisco make sure to take a walking tour of the City going through Chinatown, North Beach and on to Fishermans' Wharf.