We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Restaurant in San Francisco

Voorhees, New Jersey
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Family Restaurant in San Francisco

I will be traveling to San Francisco at the end of December. Can anyone recommend a good restaurant. I will be with my husband and 3 teenage children. Both my husband and I are foodies, and my kids are old enough to sit for a nice meal. However, I'd rather the restaurant be more fun and not stuffy. Price doesn't matter much. Any suggestions?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Restaurant in San Francisco

I'm afraid your parameters are way too broad. There are very likely a thousand restaurants that fit this criteria. (Or that I think would at any rate.)

A budget would be extremely helpful. And what type of cuisine (we have just about everything available)? In a bit more detail, what is your idea of "fun and not stuffy."

Where will you be staying? Are you interested in exploring neighborhoods or would you rather be closer to where you're staying?

How about something like Foreign Cinema? Is that what you're looking for? http://www.foreigncinema.com/

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,316 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Restaurant in San Francisco

Welcome to SF. There are literally thousands of places and too hard recommend one. Have you read the Top Questions on the right? There's a restaurants recs. You can eat well without breaking the bank.

Someone linked the Michelin Gourmant list recently. Too hard for me to find in the phone but perhaps someone else can do that.

Are the kids picky?

Voorhees, New Jersey
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Restaurant in San Francisco

I probably should mention that we are staying at the Donatello (Union Square)

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Restaurant in San Francisco

If your family loves a good slab of beef, they would love the house of Prime Rib. It's an "old-school" restaurant complete with the serving cart where you can choose your cut of prime rib and the giant salad bowl that your server spins right at the table. Great sides and desserts, and service is exemplary (but not at all stuffy). Cost of a full prime rib dinner is about $30-$40, depending on the cut you order. Servings are quite ample and you won't leave hungry!

A similar-type restaurant in Orange County was our kids' favorite when they were teens (they're now 52 and 50). Mrs. OJ was able to get that restaurant's recipe for creamed corn and the kids still insist that she make it for all our holiday dinners.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,423 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Restaurant in San Francisco

As already mentioned there is plenty to choose from but have a look at these near your hotel.

Great Italian____Fino's in Post Street just a couple of blocks from your hotel.

http://finoristorante.com/

Nostalgia___John's Grill in Ellis Street.

http://www.johnsgrill.com/

Scala's___just around the corner from your hotel in Powell.

http://www.scalasbistro.com/

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Restaurant in San Francisco

Not far from Union Square (about 4 blocks) are Claude Lane and Belden Alley. Claude runs from Sutter to Bush between Kearny and Grant. Belden from Bush to Pine between Kearny and Montgomery.

Both have a number of European influenced bistros. Café Claude has jazz on weekends. www.cafeclaude.com

Belden Alley is completely lined with restaurants and all have outdoor seating as well. Café Bastille is one of my regular haunts for lunch. www.belden-place.com

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,669 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Restaurant in San Francisco

There is a list of Italian, seafood and Chinese restaurants on the right side of this forum page . Also www.sfgate.com/food has a top 100 list. When we travel to a large city, we ask our teens to find a few places to see and eat at so perhaps you can do the same

Giving strangers more info about price, cuisine and any dislikes or preferences would help us help you

Great produce within a 100 miles of SF has given the. Restaurants a huge palate to create with. Farm fresh almost year around .

Edited: 15 December 2013, 01:18
Voorhees, New Jersey
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Restaurant in San Francisco

Thanks so much for all the feedback. It has been very helpful. Any restaurants that specialize in gluten free?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Restaurant in San Francisco

If you do a search above for "gluten" you will find everything you could possibly need.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Restaurant in San Francisco

Gluten free? That would have been excellent information to provide from the get-go.