We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day for Christmas sight seeing in San Francisco

Virginia
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
One day for Christmas sight seeing in San Francisco

Hello everyone--I will be flying into SF on Dec 22 around 11 a.m and have only that day to take in all I can of the Christmas festivities. I am primarily flying in for the 49er game Monday night and have plans starting late Monday morning and then I fly back to DC Tuesday morning again. When I have come to SF over the years, I have hit all the major spots, and some out of the way places, but I would truly love to see the best of Christmas that the fine people of San Francisco can recommend. I will be going straight from the airport to downtown; I love to walk so that isn't an issue; and I have the remainder of the day/night. Any ideas and thoughts would be helpful and appreciated. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays in advance to all :-)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,229 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day for Christmas sight seeing in San Francisco

The best places to visit would be to walk around Union Square and see the department stores and then take the California cable car to nob Hill to see the Fairmont hotel. The Embarcadero and Fisherman's wharf areas will also be very festive Streets such as Chestnut street and Union street which you can walk to from Fisherman's wharf are fun to walk around as well more for the buzz than for the displays

Merry Christmas and a very happy 2014 to you and yours and to the good people of the commonwealth of virginia

Edited: 15 December 2013, 01:23
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One day for Christmas sight seeing in San Francisco

You might find this helpful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k704191…

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
18,085 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day for Christmas sight seeing in San Francisco

Except for the puppies and kittens in the Macy's windows (at Stockton and O'Farrell), I don't think the department store windows are very holiday-ish. The hotel lobbies put in more effort -- the Westin St. Francis at Union Square has a sugar castle, the Fairmont on Nob Hill has a 2-story gingerbread house, the Hyatt Regency at the Embarcadero has a snow village, train and falling snow. You could start at the Fairmont on Nob Hill, walk around Nob Hill (including Grace Cathedral), then walk down to Union Square (including the Westin and the square itself), then through the Financial District to the Hyatt.

Virginia
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day for Christmas sight seeing in San Francisco

Belomiser, Ugyved2 and SFSusanW, thank you so much...your recommendations are wonderful and do-able --Having a game plan ahead of time will make the trip even that more enjoyable and add to the Christmas spirit :-)

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One day for Christmas sight seeing in San Francisco

Merry Christmas and Happy Trails!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day for Christmas sight seeing in San Francisco

My family will be in SF Union Square area arriving on Christmas Eve Tuesday, and leaving on Saturday morning the 23th. Would love suggestions on things to do in SF. The girls are 18 and 20.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
18,085 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day for Christmas sight seeing in San Francisco

@mom2gals, welcome to Trip Advisor! Because your situation is different from the person who originated this topic, you might get more responses if you start your own topic (and that way, you'll be notified by email when anyone responds to you).

Also, the more info you can give us about you and your girls, the more we can tailor our recommendations to you. Do they love shopping or would they want to hike or bike around the city? Hippies or yuppies? (General info is in the Top Questions on the right side of this page when viewed on a desktop computer, not a mobile device, but give us more info and we can give you more guidance!)

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day for Christmas sight seeing in San Francisco

Thanks so much for your reply. I finally listened to directions and started reading the prior posts which are so unbelievably helpful and then I will come back and ask more specific questions. We will be arriving in San Francisco Union Square area on New Years Eve night and staying until Dec 28. We will be driving down Coast with our destination as San Diego for a house party for New Years Eve. I think Christmas day will be filled with bopping in and out of all the decorated hotels and enjoying the festivities of the moment and finding good food. I will certainly need more help with some of the other details especially the drive down Pacific Coast HIghway and I'm now beginning to cram through those threads. When I figure out what specific pointers I need I will make new posts. Thanks!

Edited: 16 December 2013, 17:35
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,331 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day for Christmas sight seeing in San Francisco

I just spent the evening around Union Square. This was my favorite! www.westfield.com/sanfrancisco/nutcracker

10. Re: One day for Christmas sight seeing in San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2014, 05:16