We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco 4 nights in April!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco 4 nights in April!!

Hi Folks

Well San Francisco will be our last stop in a quick 3 week trip east to west USA in April and has been the hardest for me to book.

I have the Orchard hotel in Union Square reserved but am not 100% sure it's for us,really would prefer a modern hotel with kitchenette facilities in the Union Sq area,budget up to $350 per night,but bamboozled by the conflicting reviews? Hoping some kind forum member can assist.

Also would like some advice on seeing and doing! Is it feasible to buy a 3 day hop-on-off bus ticket and see most of the major sights? We plan to do Alcatraz the middle day but hoped to do full tour day 1 and then revisit anything we like day 3?

Thank you for any replies but please do not direct me to the right hand column,have read the relevant posts,am looking for personal recommendations based on my questions.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,998 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco 4 nights in April!!

Kitchens are not the norm in SF so that will be an issue. The Donatello has a microwave and fridge if that helps. Others include the suites at fisherman 's wharf , del sol, Beresford arms,white swan inn.

Union square area would be the Donatello and white swan and Beresford arms

Well hoho such as city sightseeing has different routes so if you buy a pass that does all the routes then yes that would help. IMHO perhaps a half day tour from Dylan's or best Bay Area or SF shuttle tours or comprehensive shuttle would give you an overview of the city and then MUNI passport and sfcityguides.org walking tours will take you not only to the attractions but to the SF neighborhoods as well

Alcatraz IMHO should be done first thing am when crowds are less or a night tour as you get the rest of the day free

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco 4 nights in April!!

<<modern hotel with kitchenette facilities in the Union Sq area>>

Other than the Donatello mentioned above, this doesn't exist.

There may be 3 day HOHO's but why do you need one? If you're going to Alcatraz on Day 2 you're not going to get much use out of a HOHO on that day.

I would suggest going on a HOHO on Day 1. Then on Day 3 you can go back to things you enjoyed or want to see in more depth either by HOHO or via Muni -- which would be much less expensive.

Edited: 17 December 2013, 14:30
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,045 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco 4 nights in April!!

Good information above.

I can recommend the Donatello if a wet bar, microwave and fridge will meet your needs. It also has some crockery and flatware. We have stayed there many times.

The configuration of the rooms, which are quite large, 450 sq. feet, is a king size bed and a queen sleeper sofa in a sort of sitting area. The rooms were redecorated fairly recently and a new addition was a TV imbedded in the bathroom mirror, which is kind of fun. It is a modern hotel. The staff is excellent.

There is a small fitness center on the top floor as well as a nice lounge with free newspapers and coffee, and a fireplace and two terraces. I believe it is within your budget.

It is owned by Shell Hospitality, which also owns the Suites at Fisherman's Wharf, which is more of a condo-type property, with full kitchens, I believe. The location of the Donatello is better IMO. (Both of these sell 'vacation time share packages', but also sell as hotel accommodations, so if you see Shell Hospitality when you try to make reservations, just ignore it.)

Here is a link to the Donatello....

www.shellhospitality.com/en/The-Donatello…

Good luck.

4. Re: San Francisco 4 nights in April!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2014, 05:20