We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Radio Stations on West Coast

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Radio Stations on West Coast

Anyone recommend me a radio station to travel down the coast to after xmas

wanting modern pop,rock music station

we know a few in the florida area but non on the west coast

thank you

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,458 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Radio Stations on West Coast

Are you renting a car with a Sirrus/XM satellite radio ? If not FM stations are local to a city or a region such as SoCal or the Bay Area and even within a region the signal will be strong in a certain radius.

so you google your choice of music station and city to get a list. If you mean. Hwy 1, the number of stations are not that many and will change as you go south from. Monterey to SLO to Santa Barbara

Edited: 20 December 2013, 16:51
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,557 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Radio Stations on West Coast

Your car will likely have Sirius/XM which means you'll want to look at the website and print it out to have in the car. There are so many great channels to choose from, take a look:

http://www.siriusxm.com/channellineup/

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Radio Stations on West Coast

"Your car will likely have Sirius/XM..."

Is that really true? The two cars I've rented this year didn't seem to have Sirius/XM on them. Or maybe I just didn't notice.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
27,969 posts
5,915 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Radio Stations on West Coast

Simba - you're right. for many such as Hertz etc. it is an add on feature.

and then it is not even guaranteed.

Rented a car last year for a major road trip - asked for Sirius when I rented and even then when I showed up to get the car = they did not have a car with Sirius service on it (unless I wanted to wait for 4 hours for a person to return their car.). I opted to listen to some great local stations,.

Its not a universal feature - and for most car rental agencies, it is not free but an additional cost.

Edited: 20 December 2013, 19:51
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Radio Stations on West Coast

I haven't found Sirrius radio on many of my rental cars either, and sometimes even when I have rented a car with Sirrius, while the car technically DOES have it, the service has not been activated...lame lame lame. So yeah, I wouldn't count on that.

As for radio stations themselves, in the Bay Area, I listen to 107.7 The Bone for hard rock and 98.5 KFOX for classic rock. 97.3 Alice for alternative pop, 106.5 The Mix for regular pop. Wild 94.9 and 106.1 KMEL for hip hop.

In the Monterey area, I listen to 102.5 KDON for hip hop and pop and Ocean 105.3 (I think that is the frequency) for some variety - old school hip hop, pop, etc. I don't know of a good rock station there, but you can sometimes pull in 98.5 KFOX.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Radio Stations on West Coast

I don't know if stations that would cover the entire coastline, even within California. You'll have to be more specific about where you'll be. Otherwise, do a search online or just do what most people do: use the "seach" and "scan" functions on the radio. What stations are available can vary by exact location, geographic obstructions, even weather. Some stations even have more than one frequency (e.g., a Sacramento news station I listened to had both AM and FM numbers). That's really the most practical option, IMHO. I doubt you'd have satellite radio unless you have a luxury category car.

Edited: 20 December 2013, 20:09
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Radio Stations on West Coast

No, you won't be able to pull in the same stations along the coastline. Stations are usually good for about 50-100 miles, then you have to switch. Terrain is also a factor - it is harder to pull in stations in mountainous areas. I always just scan the dial until I find something good. In years past, different markets had good local stations, but with Clear Channel Communications scooping up radio stations right and left, the local flavor is disappearing rapidly from radio. You still get a lot of local flavor on the Spanish language stations, but by and large when listening to English language stations, you could be Anywhere, USA.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Radio Stations on West Coast

If you have a smartphone, the app iHeartRadio lets you listen to streaming of many radio stations regardless of where you are. As you travel you will enter a local zip code. Then get an adapter to plug the smartphone into the car's speakers.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,395 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Radio Stations on West Coast

Except the smartphone will eat up lots of data and lots of spots with no coverage.

I too have not had any car rental in the last 2-3 years with Sirius/XM. I usually rent intermediate or standard size. We have a satellite radio in both our cars and I really miss it when we don't have it. I love traveling in the boonies and still get my favorite stations.

Most if not all of the rentals HAD an AUX port. You can bring your own AUX line (or buy one when you get here if you forget) to plug in your smartphone/iPod and use the saved music library the old fashion way.

If you are driving Hwy 1, there may be many spots with now coverage. You can search the dials, but you may end up best listening to your own library.

Here's a thought... start a collection of California related songs playlist on your phone/media device. The high tech version of a mixed tape. Who remember those, children of the 80's? : ) I have been meaning to make a post about SF related mixed tape. Will share when I have a chance and if interest.

Edited: 21 December 2013, 02:09
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Radio Stations on West Coast

The last three or four years, every rental we've had (in Florida to visit the mother-in-law) have all had satellite radio and we never requested it or particularly cared. A couple of those were also cheap priceline/hotwire rentals (one turned out to be enterprise and the other some local rental company). I guess we just got lucky or the satellite radio is more common in that area.

An iPod or mp3 player would work for music as suggested above. Most cars have the 1/8 inch headphone style jack if you get a cable with that kind of jack on both ends. Some of the fancier cars might also have bluetooth audio so you can play music from a smartphone or similar without a cable if can figure out how to turn it on and pair it on both devices.

Have a great trip.