We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French restaurant for large family

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
718 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
French restaurant for large family

Hi we are a family of 15 with 7 adults and 8 children. May I have a recommendation for a reasonably priced western restaurant, preferably French, not too far away from downtown area. The date will be 29th dec for dinner, better still if there is a fixed priced dinner or early bird special. Any suggestion is much appreciated. We are staying in fisherman wharf area.

Thank you very much.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,355 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French restaurant for large family

Plouf has a pre-fixe and other restaurants in Belden alley like cafe Bastille which is so so and not my cup of te'

Cafe Claude

L'Olivier in the financial district which has a pre-fixe

Menus et all on www.opentable,com or their website

Bon appetit

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,479 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: French restaurant for large family

Plouf, Le Central, Cafe Claude are all good. I'm not a fan of L'Olivier... stuck in the 70s and when I was there last most of their patrons where probably old enough to have known Charles deGaulle's mother personally.

Grand Cafe is a little larger restaurant, so may be able to take a larger party more easily. Cafe de la Presse is good. These are all in the Union Square area. I don't know of any French restaurants closer to the Wharf.

Cafe des Amis, in the Marina District is good.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,355 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: French restaurant for large family

Cdg's mother... Lol.. That is funny

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: French restaurant for large family

I do like Café Bastille but I always go with a French speaker so perhaps they like us better :) Agree on l'Olivier. I was the guest of a "women's group" about 5 years ago; believe I saw CdG's mother at a back table.

You might also try Le Charm. It's located in SOMA and does have a prix fixe. They have an outdoor patio that has been fixed up nicely with twinkly lights and heat lamps. They may be able to accommodate you out there. http://www.lecharm.com/

Wherever you choose, be sure to get a reservation. On a Sunday night you might have more luck getting one -- some restaurants don't want to take as large group Thur-Sa.

Edited: 21 December 2013, 16:04
Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: French restaurant for large family

I stayed at a nice little French hotel called Cornel Hotel, just a couple of blocks from Union Square. Meals were included and iwere quite good. They often had family groups dining and the owners were often in the restaurant.

http://www.cornellhotel.com

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,955 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: French restaurant for large family

The restaurant in the Hotel Cornell de France near Union Square has a prix fixe dinner. The restaurant is rather unique, called the Jeanne d'Arc. I have not eaten there except for breakfast when we stayed there. I believe they could handle a group your size.

http://cornellhotel.com/

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,955 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: French restaurant for large family

Okay, two people typing at the same time. The restaurant is actually downstairs from the main floor and is decorated in medieval style, with backlighted stained glass windows and chain mail and murals. Interesting.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
718 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: French restaurant for large family

Thank you so much. I will e mail all of them to find out more. It seems that they charged extra service charge likes whopping 18% for a group of more than 6?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,355 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: French restaurant for large family

Well you may want to go to the Ca forum and read the top question about tipping in the US. It is pretty standard for restaurants to add a tip for large parties and if a tip is NOT added, suggested tips are between 15-20 percent so 18 is not whopping...

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: French restaurant for large family

"Whopping?" Hardly. Have you traveled to the US before?

That's a typical tip and with a large group it is often added automatically (because when a large party is divvying up a tab the service charge somehow disappears).