We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation taxes

Pokeno
Level Contributor
49 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation taxes

Hi , We are an older couple looking to spend a week in SF next October. Looking at hotels and vrbo - prices exclude taxes. What is the current rate please? Really appreciate all the help TA provides.

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,258 reviews
from US$99.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir...
1,578 reviews
from US$117.00*
Best Seller
Big Bus San Francisco Sightseeing and...
209 reviews
from US$110.00*
Best Seller
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods and...
2,472 reviews
from US$62.00*
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,492 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation taxes

Around 15 percent

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation taxes

There are two tax areas in SF for hotels. One is about 15% but downtown is more like 15.5%

Not charged (that I've ever seen) on VRBO properties. But perhaps is in SF as I live here and haven't done a VRBO here.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,492 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation taxes

My limited knowledge is that there are arguments, discussions between the large vac rental firms and the city on taxes and the issue is who pays, the companies from their earnings or the owners so I would not be surprised if the renter starts paying taxes soon but again this is my opinion .

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation taxes

Effective Jan 1, 2014, guests staying in San Francisco lodging facilities subject to transient occupancy tax (TOT) in Zone 1 ( basically, the Northeast quarter of the city east of Van Ness Ave and North of 16th Street) will be charged a total of 16.25% of the room rate consisting of 14% TOT, 1% Tourism Improvement District (TID) Assessment and 1.25% Moscone Expansion District (MED) Assessments. Hotels in Zone 2 (all other parts of the city) will be charged 14% occupancy tax and 1.0625% in TID & MED assessments for a total of 15.0625%. Those assessments are set for the next 30 years. However, the City could decide to raise the TOT anytime they want, but to get it done, it takes a vote of the people - I think.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,492 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation taxes

Wes thanks. What have you heard about vacation rentals

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation taxes

The Tax Collector DEFINITELY wants to collect the TOT on the rental charges. I have not heard about VRBO, but I know they were after the AirBnB rents. Possibly both at the same time, but the only name I heard was AirBnB. It is my understanding that AirBnB has agreed to collect and remit TOT on their rentals. I did check VRBO and the rental I looked at indicated 16.25% tax also

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,492 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation taxes

Personally I think that is fair. Hotels and rentals should be on equal footing wrt taxes as both are selling accommodation

Pokeno
Level Contributor
49 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation taxes

Wow. Thanks for such prompt & detailed replies. Guess I'll budget for 16.5%. I can understand the reasoning but makes SF even more expensive.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation taxes

oct. tends to have a lot things happening. so demand for accommodations can be high. check the convention schedule to the right under to questions. try to come when there is not a big one in town. these are some of the big events: fleet week. nike women's marathon. hardly strictly bluegrass.

10. Re: Accommodation taxes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2014, 05:16