We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment rental in Telegraph Hill area

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
115 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Apartment rental in Telegraph Hill area

I was advised to get the exact location of an apartment rental since the SF streets can change quickly from good to bad. I am considering renting an apartment which is located between Union Street and Filbert Street off Grant Ave (looks to be on Varennes Street). Any thoughts on this location in terms of safety and location? Thanks in advance from the locals!

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
115 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment rental in Telegraph Hill area

Oops- I meant in the North Beach area, not Telegraph Hill, but I think they are close.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment rental in Telegraph Hill area

I lived within two blocks of the location for many years. It is about as good as it gets in terms of North Beach experience. I would jump on that in a heart beat.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment rental in Telegraph Hill area

Union is one street that doesn't have a bad house number on it.

If I recall correctly we've gotten a couple of inquiries about vacation rentals on Genoa Pl. which is a little alley that also connects Union to Filbert between Grant and Kearny. Don't know if it's the same place but one came back with a TR indicating that the apartment worked well for them: tripadvisor.com/…36216777

There is a bit of an uphill from Grant up Union but it's only 1 1/2 blocks. There is a bus that runs up that hill but it doesn't run that often -- I'd make the walk unless you're carrying a lot of stuff.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment rental in Telegraph Hill area

I should add, walking a bit uphill is part of the North Beach experience. But, you also get to walk downhill to all the goodies the area has to offer. You will be no more than 2 blocks from Washington Square which is ground zero for North Beach. This flat will go fast. Grab it!!!

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
115 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment rental in Telegraph Hill area

Thank you all so much for the wise words. I am also looking at one other vrbo rental unit, but I haven't heard back from the owner yet (only sent message today), asking for exact location of that unit also. I couldn't tell much from the map. This other unit has on site laundry which is enticing. We'll see. But I won't wait long to make a decision based on all of your comments. Thanks

6. Re: Apartment rental in Telegraph Hill area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 05:17