We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Hotel Choice

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manteo, North...
Level Contributor
52 posts
242 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Hotel Choice

I have been reading countless reviews and I still cannot decide where to stay...Help, Please!

I will be a first time visitor to SF the week of Jan 19th. I basically want to see Alcatraz and Chinatown - everything else will be added as time allows. I'm not sure if I want to stay in the Fisherman Wharf area or the Union Square area. Anyone care to offer a suggestion? I won't have a car so it's either walking or talking public transport so if anyone can recommend a location and hotel with a stop right in front for cable cars that would be great! I'd like to pay $200 or less for a hotel if possible, but with that said, I need a safe, clean hotel as I'm a solo traveler.

Thanks for any guidance!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
46 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Hotel Choice

For Union Square I'd recommend either:

Hotel Fusion

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d243535-…

or

Herbert Hotel

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d80771-R…

or, if you're in the mood for an art hotel, Hotel Des Arts

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60713-d4782…

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Hotel Choice

Have a look at the top questions on right of this page as to Union Square and the Wharf area.

You can check out all hotels in the area you decide and perhaps come back for more information.

I would suggest Union square as the better choice for you.

The hotels suggested are probably best described as budget hotels and at this time of year you can do better with your budget.

Check out the Chancellor Hotel____a quality 3 star hotel in a perfect location on Powell Street (cable cars) with better than average amenities and customer service from management and staff.

http://www.chancellorhotel.com/

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Hotel Choice

I just did a cursory search of your dates on Kayak and saw the Chancellor came up at $149 a night. With tax about $175. I'd jump on that.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Hotel Choice

I would too. One of my favorite hotels...we stay there several times a year when we go into the city for theater.

Read the reviews and you will be hooked.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,747 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Hotel Choice

I'd do the same. Your trip is coming up fast and Union Square gives you so many more "real San Francisco" opportunities than FW would offer. Just book what tripjunky mentions (or other Union Square options), if you can get it, and then spend the next few days doing your research as to activities and restaurants and other fun traveler opportunities. It's in the category of "if you snooze, you might lose."

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Hotel Choice

the Fusion, the Herbert and the Des Arts are inferior to the Chancellor.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Hotel Choice

That's a very good price for the Chancellor. I too would hop on it.

Agree with the others that overall, Union Square is a better area for a solo adult traveler. But, this is not a one sized fits all world so do read the Top Questions -- especially the one title "Hotels: Where to Stay ..." Connected to that TQ is an good (non-biased) article comparing Union Square and Fisherman's Wharf.

Manteo, North...
Level Contributor
52 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Hotel Choice

Thanks for all the help, everyone! I looked at all the suggestions and found a great deal with...Chancellor Hotel on Union Square! Can't wait!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Hotel Choice

All right !! You will be very happy there. We are there several times a year and will be there Jan 29th so will miss you. They will take good care of you. Enjoy your stay.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,715 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with Hotel Choice

Great choice! I have some friends coming soon and will likely stay there with them. Will get to see what everyone is talking about.