We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ship transfer

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bc
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Cruise ship transfer

Will arrive at SFO on Sat morning, Jan 4. If we take BART to Embarcadaro station how far is it to walk to Pier 35 for a Princess cruise? Or is there another way to get there from the BART? Thanks.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise ship transfer

It would be a nice walk without luggage, probably take you 25 minutes. You may take the F Wharves streetcar from the Ferry Bldg area on Embarcadero, but it may be crowded with tourists. With suitcases, I'd take a taxi from the Hyatt Regency Hotel, adjacent to the BART Station

See

sfmta.com/getting-around/…f-market-wharves

For info on the F Wharves streetcar

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise ship transfer

1.2 miles.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise ship transfer

Here's a suggestion from Google Maps. http://goo.gl/maps/En5eQ The F trolley car is historic and scenic, but not really made for passengers with luggage.

How many bags will you have to carry? What times does your flight arrive and cruise depart? You're going on a cruise, and arriving the day a cruise is often viewed as risky (see forums on Cruisecritic.com). I'd guess you can afford a shuttle from the airport to the port. Without bags, and with sufficient time, I might take public transportation, but it's a different story with bags.

Edited: 29 December 2013, 15:06
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise ship transfer

p.s. maybe at least take a taxi from the Embarcadero BART station (may have to talk to the Hyatt Regency to get a cab?) to the pier.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise ship transfer

If you do take BART to Embarcadero, there is a lot of construction on Drumm Street in front of the Hyatt Regency right now. The cab line has shifted up a block to Davis Street between California and Pine (at least outside afternoon rush hours).

bc
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise ship transfer

Thanks for the information. We are arriving late the day before and staying at an airport hotel so time getting to the port is not a problem. We will have two large bags. Is there a shuttle from SFO to the port? Cost? Taxi cost? Thanks again.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,309 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise ship transfer

Door-to-door (shared) shuttles serve anywhere in SF (these are companies like Super Shuttle and others). Cost is probably around $17-20 per person (I'm assuming it's the same price roughly as to Fisherman's Wharf). Check with your airport hotel to see if you can book a shuttle from there to the port. They might pick you up at the hotel, but circle through the airport to pick up additional people, which would add 30 minutes or so to the journey. So allow $40 and 75 minutes if they detour through the airport.

Taxi would be $50-55 total and 30-45 minutes. I'd just take a taxi from your hotel, because otherwise you have to take the hotel shuttle back to the airport (or maybe the BART station), then BART to the Embarcadero, then a taxi or public transport to the port. (The cost for this would be around $20 and at least 75 minutes if you took public transit from Embarcadero, $25 and at least an hour if you take a taxi from the Embarcadero.)

bc
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise ship transfer

Thanks. It looks like the weather will be good on Saturday morning and it sounds like a nice area to visit. How difficult is the walk from the Embarcadero station to pier 35 pulling a suitcase?

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise ship transfer

It's all flat. If you have wheels, should be OK if you're in reasonable shape. Taker her slow and enjoy the view off the multiple piers

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruise ship transfer

Rachel indicates 1.2 miles which sounds right to me. I don't know how large your bags are, but that sounds like a long walk dragging a big suitcase and probably a carry-on. Figure on at least a 30 minute walk.

Once you get started you're pretty much committed to walking the entire way. It's unlikely to be able to flag down a cab along the Embarcadero. Even if an empty one came along, there are few places to pull over on that busy roadway. There are a few F line stops (Washington, Broadway and Green) but -- as others have said -- that line uses old historic trolleys which aren't very roomy.