We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do around Oakland and Oracle Arena

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
78 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do around Oakland and Oracle Arena

Hello destination experts and Warriors fans,

I will be catching a Warriors game on the 18th of March and I'm wondering what there is to do around Oracle arena? It will be the last night of our 4 night stay in San Francisco. Is it worth heading out to Oakland earlier in the day and exploring the area before the game? How long will it take to get there from Union Square on the BART? Is there a bar/s that Warriors fans traditionally gather at before a game? I'm a Warriors fan from Australia and this will most likely be my only chance to see them play. I want to make the most of it. (and yes I have searched the forum for answers to these questions before posting.)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,366 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do around Oakland and Oracle Arena

One can go to downtown Oakland but do not walk around the warriors stadium which is a few BART stops south It is not the most friendly area to hang out in.

http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do around Oakland and Oracle Arena

There is nothing around the arena. You may want to go a bit early to soak in the atmosphere inside the arena. You can get your drinks inside the arena.

March 18 is a weekday so you may encounter commuters on BART. It may be crowded on the train.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
78 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do around Oakland and Oracle Arena

I read that drinks are crazy expensive inside the arena ($11?) Now that's expensive even by Aussie standards. Is this true?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do around Oakland and Oracle Arena

I don't remember the exact cost. Yes they do soak the captive audience for all they can get. Everything is expensive inside the arena. But how often are you going to see the Warriors?

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
78 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do around Oakland and Oracle Arena

That's true. How long on the BART from Union Square to the arena?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do around Oakland and Oracle Arena

March 18th WILL be crowded because it is BOBBLEHEAD night. www.nba.com/warriors/tickets/promotions Only the first 10,000 fans will get the prized bobbleheads so get there early to grab one!! Then when you're in, soak in the atmosphere, maybe get an autograph from fellow Melbournian Andrew Bogut.

Check BART schedules at http://bart.gov

Edited: 03 January 2014, 05:07
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do around Oakland and Oracle Arena

BART from downtown to the Coliseum station is about 30 min.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
78 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do around Oakland and Oracle Arena

Thanks ALTippet - question answered. We WILL be there early to get our Bobbleheads - awesome. CAN'T WAIT!!!

P.S. What an awesome win over Miami hey. Two seasons in a row we've stitched them up!

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do around Oakland and Oracle Arena

Re your trip on BART--be sure to put enough fare on your ticket for a round trip. You can avoid long lines at the fare machines that way.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do around Oakland and Oracle Arena

As far as doing things in Oakland, I wouldn't plan activities around the stadium since there isn't much around. Oakland also isn't tourist oriented in the same way San Francisco is--which can be good or bad depending on your POV.

As belomiser mentions, downtown Oakland is probably your best bet for stopping somewhere on that side of the bay if you want activities beforehand and then getting back on Bart to go a few stops south to the game. The 12th street Bart station may be the most central stop for some of these activities.

Oakland has a reasonably large Chinatown and it can be a good place to get dim sum in a less touristy and perhaps less expensive place than in San Francisco. Restaurant Peony is one dim sum place there, but there are others. Perhaps check yelp or other sites for reviews of things in the area. You'll find other types of food besides Chinese around (American, Indian, Vietnamese, gourmet sausages, etc).

There are also some bars in the area. For a large selection of Belgium-style beers, The Trappist is an interesting stop, but there are other bars around for other experiences.

The Oakland Museum of California is in the general downtown area, though closer to Lake Merritt. It has some good historical exhibits about California and has other rotating exhibits. IMO, it's one of the more overlooked museums by visitors who might be interested in California history, but many visitors never make it to that side of the bay.