We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco on a budget

Denver, Colorado
3 posts
Save Topic
San Francisco on a budget

Hello,

My friend and I are looking to go to San Francisco in February. I am a senior in college and she just started her first job, so we are both on a budget, yet looking for a great adventure. I was wondering what to do and see besides the typical fisherman's wharf and golden gate area. We also love a great bite to eat if anyone knows places also! Thanks!!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco on a budget

Welcome to the Forums!

I would suggest you start with the Top Questions on the right side of the screen (non mobile version of TA). There are some there that discuss "off the beaten track" options There is also a "Things to Do" tab at the top.

What kinds of things do you like to do or are interested in? Walking tours? Cycling? History? Art? Shopping? Nightlife? A bit more info about you and your interests would go a long way to pointing you in the right direction.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,563 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco on a budget

How long do you plan to stay here? Since the biggest expense is lodging, you might consider a hostel. There are several Hostelling International locations in the downtown area, and the one most of us would suggest (the one we'd prefer for our own daughters or nieces or students) is near Fisherman's Wharf. It is in a national park area called Fort Mason, right by the Bay and surrounded by meadows and historic buildings. It's near public transit and many of the popular visitor attractions, has a view of the Golden Gate Bridge, and is safe to walk around or go to and from.

http://www.sfhostels.org/fishermans-wharf

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,045 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco on a budget

I think a hostel would be a great idea for you. Not only would you save money, but you would meet other travelers, most of them your age.

The Fisherman's Wharf hostel is excellent, as you probably saw in the video on the link that Frisco gave you.

My second choices would be the downtown one on Mason Street two blocks from Union Square and the Adelaide hostel.

http://www.sfhostels.org/downtown

http://www.adelaidehostel.com/

There is also the USA Hostel on Post Street which seems to get good notices. You might google it for comparison.

Denver, Colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco on a budget

Thanks so much for the hostel idea. We will probably be there from a Thursday to a Sunday. So not a whole lot of time, but enough!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,637 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco on a budget

One more good hostel.... Green Tortoise

www.greentortoise.com/san-francisco-hostel/

All of these hostels have private double rooms but most are shared baths.

Lots to do without spending a lot. Go to Golden Gate Park on a Sunday. Rent a bike to ride around the park. Roads are closed to traffic. Eat near Irving and 9th, on Clement St, or picnic at Stow Lake. Rent a paddle or row boat. Watch the boogie woogie skaters at the skate area by 6th Ave. Watch or join the dancers at the outdoor lindy hop.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 03:17
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,045 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco on a budget

Sorry, chinita, I just think the location of the Green Tortoise is sub par and the ambiance a little far out.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,637 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco on a budget

I have met many people who stayed there and have taken their tours. Locals and international folks and not all young. I guess OP can look and decide. I would stay there as it's near Chinatown and North Beach. Though it's true it's not near the hub like Union Square.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,045 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco on a budget

OK, yes Green Tortoise does good things with tours and etc. I have heard several times, however, that the hostel in SF is over the top party time, which is what I meant when I said the ambiance is a little far out.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,295 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco on a budget

You'll save money by visiting neighborhoods through S.F. eating where many locals eat. S.F. isn't a cheap place to visit, but you can save money if you're willing to hop on public transportation away from tourist and downtown areas. Take a look at Bargain Bites where you can get a meal for $10 and under:

Bargain Bites 2012 http://www.sfgate.com/food/bargainbites/2012/

Bargain Bites 2013 sfgate.com/food/…Bargain-Bites-2013-72570.php

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco on a budget

Also, take a look at the top question about budget hotels for comparison. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k628810…

A hostel is likely to be cheaper, with some activities and you may make some new friends since you'll likely run into new people in the breakfast room and if you join any activities put on by the hostel. Some people may decide to go touring or other activities together if they get on well and want to do similar things.

With two of you, a hotel may only be somewhat more and you get a private bathroom. It really depends on what you're looking for. In some cases hostels offer what amounts to a basic hotel room (private room with private bath) and it can be a similar price to a budget hotel. The dorm style hostel rooms or those that don't have a private bath are usually less expensive for just two people.

Have a great trip.