We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling alone in San Francisco for 12 days

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Travelling alone in San Francisco for 12 days

Hi!

I had a trip planned with my friend to San Francisco, but some last minute personal problems occured and he cannot come with me anymore. I can't get any refund if I cancel my flights, so I was wondering if it is dangerous to travel alone in San Francisco as an 18 year old female.

I am really eager to visit the city and heard about the hostels out there. Any places you recommend visiting alone? Is 12 days too long to visit San Francisco? If so, do you have any other city in Cali that I should go visit by taking a bus?

Thank you very much

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling alone in San Francisco for 12 days

There are trip reports from single female travelers on the first post of this SF forum and as long as you are street smart and are out and about with people you should be fine.

Here is one TR from Dani S

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k703207…

Sfhostels have one in Fort mason that is quite good. Most spend 3-4 days in SF and with 12 days, one can do and see and lot more.

What else do you want to do and see in this state ? The abbreviation for California is CA. Did you have other hotel reservations

If you read the top questions on the right side there is one on tour companies to Yosemite NP, and Monterey

You can also do tours using www.calpartours.com or green tortoise tours

The more research you do and come back to us with info on what you want to do and see the better we can help

Edited: 05 January 2014, 02:13
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling alone in San Francisco for 12 days

ktap13, sorry to hear that. that happened to me as well when i went to montreal. i befriended those in hostels and got to do things with them. you can do that too here :) i would suggest a hostel for you. some have group activities. Dani S had a good time, so please read her report. if you'd like, i'd suggest disneyland in southern california = So Cal. you can take megabus. the further out you book the cheaper it is. you can also do the tours suggested by belo. perhaps you'd like to visit Cal Berkeley campus.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling alone in San Francisco for 12 days

www.sfhostels.org is the hostels website. Check the fort mason location

There is another one called Adelaide as well

Usahostels is the third option in SF

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,053 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling alone in San Francisco for 12 days

Green Tortoise is another popular hostel.

www.greentortoise.com/san-francisco-hostel/

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,053 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling alone in San Francisco for 12 days

Ugh... timed out. Green Tortoise also does local and further trips in CA and beyond. Look at their schedule to see if any look interesting. You can also look at Mega Bus and Bolt bus lines to see if you want to go elsewhere in the state. I would feel safe sending an 18yo on these buses. They go to Sacramento, LA, and San Diego.

Montreal, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling alone in San Francisco for 12 days

Hi!

Thanks for all your answers! My trip is really about discovering the city. I want to see the must-sees by walk, bicycle or bus. I thought about going to Los Angeles too, but I don't know how safe it is. I will for sure be staying in a hostel in both cities. Do you guys have a preference or a recommendation between SF City Center Hostel, Green Tortoise ans Adelaide Hostel?

Also, I thought about splitting my trip in 8 days in SF and 3 days in LA (+ one full day for the travelling in bus) what do you guys think about that? Should I spend more time in LA (I want to take a day for the beach for sure)?

What are the must-see destinations in both cities?

Thank you all again so much!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,053 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling alone in San Francisco for 12 days

SF City Center is in the Tenderloin and not safe for an 18yo single gal. Adelaide even though it looks very close is much better location wise and near Union Square. It is central for transportation so probably best for first visit. Green Tortoise is in North Beach/Chinatown if you want that locale but further to get to other parts of town. The Fort Mason HI Hostel is the most beautiful locale as it is open and wide versus the other urban ones. But it would also be further away from the shopping and other areas.

LA can be safe if you plan accordingly. Go to the LA forum and read and ask. Santa Monica is where you probably want to be and there may be hostels there too.

For the must see, read the Top Questions on the right. Too many highlights.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 05:52
Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling alone in San Francisco for 12 days

SF is a place which as sketch places, but is mostly very safe... You should have a wonderful time... with 10 days you can explore neighborhoods or take BART and explore the suburbs.... Berkeley... Oakland... Livermore...

Splitting the trip with LA would work as well...

Both cities are generally safe... but in both you need to be aware as you need to be anywhere.

Randy

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling alone in San Francisco for 12 days

I would get a good guide book on CA or check TA city guides for SF and LA and come up with a list of what to do and see and use the top questions on the right side of the SF, LA and California forums to help guide you.

Personally something like a green tortoise guided tour IMHO may work out better as you will have guides and company instead of trying to do LA and other parts of CA on your own.

Frankly 4 days in SF is enough and that gives you over a week to go on a tour. I would be more comfortable with my teen doing that or going with friends. Since your friend cannot make it, the suggestion I would give is to do a tour

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling alone in San Francisco for 12 days

Please see my reply to your question about LA on the LA forum. Chuck.