We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover between San Franciso and Mammoth

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Stopover between San Franciso and Mammoth

My son will be driving a rented car from San Francisco to Mammoth in June and it seems such a long drive. Where would you recommend to stop over. Thanks in advance

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,309 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopover between San Franciso and Mammoth

The most logical overnight stop would be Yosemite.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopover between San Franciso and Mammoth

Yup as Susan said. Were you thinking of skipping YNP ? Been there before ?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopover between San Franciso and Mammoth

Hi TA members and thanks for you replies. When you say Yosemite is there an actual place in Yosemite NP called that or is the name for the area. We want to drive through Yosemite park to Mammoth and as I say we need a break from say the early evening until the following day. I believe the whole trip is 350 miles so after let's say 200 miles.. Thank You

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,905 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopover between San Franciso and Mammoth

Hi

Yosemite is a huge National Park. If you take the most direct route from San Francisco to Mammoth Lakes, you'll use Hwy 120 to cross the Sierra Nevada and will literally drive through Yosemite NP. Yosemite Valley is about 200 miles from San Francisco, but it's not on the direct route through the Park.

Google Maps might help. http://goo.gl/maps/YymNP

Note that this is the San Francisco forum so the Top Questions, topics, and details here are all about SF. If you want assistance with a driving route in California, check the Top Q on that page. And if you decide to stay in Yosemite, check the Top Q on that page.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopover between San Franciso and Mammoth

Thank you everybody for your replies. I have taken the advice of a friend who has done the trip and we shall now head from Flagstaff to Vegas and drive from there to Mammoth stopping in Beatty for a night and then stopping off for a night in Sonora on the drive from Mammoth to San Francisco

Thank you

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,715 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopover between San Franciso and Mammoth

I am confused. Are you still driving through Yosemite? Sonora is not exactly on the way from Mammoth to SF via Yosemite.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,905 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stopover between San Franciso and Mammoth

I think the goal is to avoid National Parks. At least, that's what appears to be true. Oh well. Here is their map: http://goo.gl/maps/dXMfz

Tractorboy10 ~ I think we don't understand your plan. If you want suggestions for an itinerary that actually includes some of the possible scenic beauty, let us know.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stopover between San Franciso and Mammoth

It's a shame to stop in Beatty and not go to Death Valley.

It's a shame to go to Mammoth and not make the brief detour to Mono Lake.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,715 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stopover between San Franciso and Mammoth

tractorboy - please let us know your intention as the plan as we understand makes no sense to us. Why did your friend suggest this itinerary???

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,214 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stopover between San Franciso and Mammoth

"It's a shame to go to Mammoth and not make the brief detour to Mono Lake."

If tractorboy10 is driving from Mammoth to Sonora, he (or his son?) will be driving right by Mono Lake whether taking route 120 or 108. And, yes, it is worth stopping for.

The Original post said the son was driving from SF to Mammoth. Now, it's "we shall now head from Flagstaff to Vegas and drive from there to Mammoth". Why Mammoth, tractorboy10? And, what's the rest of your itinerary?