We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SFO to hotel to OAK

DeWitt, Iowa
Level Contributor
376 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
SFO to hotel to OAK

San Francisco is our hub on the way to our vacation destination this coming March. I am looking for advice on transportation and hotel for our overnight stay in SF as the logistics of this stay are a little complicated. We arrive at SFO in am and have the whole day and night to spend in SF. We have a 9:30 AM flight out of OAK the next day.

Our party consists of DH, DS (age 12) and myself. I thought it would be a good idea to stay in Union Square or close to wharf so we could walk around and see interesting local sights. It appears a shuttle from the airport or a taxi will cost close to the same amount as it will to hire a private car service to take the 3 of us this distance. I saw that Pleasant Limo has been recommended on this site. If there are other recommendations for transportation, I would appreciate it. We will also have to hire transportation from the hotel to OAK in the AM.

Also, if anyone can give any recommendations on a hotel in that area? We are hoping to keep the cost under $150/night. Thanks for your help!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,310 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SFO to hotel to OAK

Sorry where is the complication ? The folks in the SF forum have created a chart of how to get from SFO to SF in the top questions on the right. For the 3 of you if you don't have huge bags BART the train would be about half the cost of a cab. It would certainly be much much cheaper than hiring a limo from SFO and to OAK.

It is your money and your travel style but I would take the 100 or so dollars saved in limo rides and use that to find a hotel in the 250 range .

Hotel prices vary but you should be able to find hotels using the SF hotels link on TA. Reviews as well. We can help you decide between or among a few once you have narrowed a list

Union square and Fisherman's wharf are the two main areas. The TQs have info on both . I think US will be more central this time for you and is walking distance from BART

By the way pleasant limo is a good choice if you go that way

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,521 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SFO to hotel to OAK

For transportation to OAK, if your hotel is near a BART station and you don't have huge amounts of luggage, BART would be the best way to OAK. Alight at the Coliseum station and take a shuttle (called AirBART, $3.00 per person, exact change only) to OAK.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,873 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SFO to hotel to OAK

Without much luggage BART is the way to go and DS might like it too. My kids always felt so cosmopolitan when they got to ride BART on SF trips.

DeWitt, Iowa
Level Contributor
376 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SFO to hotel to OAK

Thanks belomisor. I'm afraid our luggage situation will be too cumbersome for the BART. I have reviewed several hotels and am debating the US area vs. FW. The cost for hotels with decent ratings on Priceline seem comparable between the 2 areas. I was specifically interested in Pier 2620. It appears to get great ratings and is just within my price range.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,310 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SFO to hotel to OAK

That is the old Hilton with an update and renovation . You may need to read reviews to see how the new rooms are. I think the hotel reopened a month or two ago Priceline guarantees two to a room so you do need to check if you go that route. Hotwire may be better or look directly at the hotel website

DeWitt, Iowa
Level Contributor
376 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SFO to hotel to OAK

Thanks again to all that answered my questions. I will check out other booking sites for Pier 2620 if we choose that hotel. That was a good point belomiser!

I really do wish we could use the BART as I think it would be a fun experience but I just fear that with 3 carryons and one checked bag along with our "personal bags", we'll be schlepping too much around to navigate the BART easily.

No matter, it will be a fun day. I just have to make my hotel choice and go with it.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SFO to hotel to OAK

Navigating BART is easier than you imagine it to be. It is totally handicapped accessible, thus you will find elevators at all stationsfrom street level, escalators too. Roll aboard with no steps. There would be a two steps up to the AirBART bus when getting to Oakland Airport, but that's the extent of it.

I'm sure your 12 yr can handle his own luggage.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SFO to hotel to OAK

If you use BART Union Square will be much more convenient as it's only steps from the Powell Street BART station. Fisherman's Wharf is not walkable from BART with luggage and the closest bus is the historic trolley which is always crowded.

9. Re: SFO to hotel to OAK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 06:22