We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what area to stay in?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
what area to stay in?

I visited SF with my bf a couple years ago and fell in love with the city. We wanted to be centrally located and stayed in Union Square.

This visit, we're looking to spend less on the accommodations so that we have more money to spend exploring everything that SF has to offer. Hotels are looking pretty pricey (planning for 03/01-03/05) so we're probably going to try airbnb.

I was hoping for some recommendations on what area to stay in. We're both 26 y/o and aren't really the partying type (being around nightlife isn't a priority). We're happy taking the bus, trolley, etc. to get around.

Thanks!

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what area to stay in?

Some SF neighborhoods vary greatly from block to block. It mat be best for you to post back with properties that you are interested in with exact addresses or cross streets. Then others can tell you what that area is like. Use Google Maps to make sure the properties are close to good bus routes.

Another option might be Priceline or Hotwire.

If you are visiting over a weekend you may find good deals on Hotwire / Priceline in the Embarcadero - Financial District.

There is a Budget Hotels thread link in the upper right corner of the desktop web site. What is your budget?

Edited: 09 January 2014, 07:03
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,628 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what area to stay in?

Have you looked at the Top Questions on the right on a non mobile browser? There is a thread about neighborhoods and rental homes. airbnb actually has a very nice guide to the neighborhoods.

https:/…neighborhoods

(I don't know why the "peace and quiet" box on the top left is default on. unclick it to get all the neighborhoods)

From your description, look at Cole Valley, Hayes Valley, Mission, Marina, and North Beach. Maybe Inner Sunset or area around UCSF near thr N-Judah line. Come back with a few short list with intersection for folks here to help.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 07:16
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what area to stay in?

Areas that I must re-visit are: Haight/Ashbury, Sausalito, North Beach/Little Italy and Union Square. I remember taking Dylan's tour and he told us that there was one area of SF that wasn't super safe for tourists..I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't booking that area.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,628 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what area to stay in?

There are many areas to avoid, none with any tourist interest. Those would be Bayview/Hunters Point and Tenderloin/Civic Center with the latter probably what Dylan's told you about.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what area to stay in?

We love the haight district. I've seen a lot of people say it's not centrally located but when it's a 20 minute bus ride anywhere who really cares? Not I.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what area to stay in?

someone recently, a think a guy and a gal from his profile pic., where looking at places to stay around the haight via a rental. you may want to look that up and see how he did.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what area to stay in?

There is a good Top Question that includes excellent info about neighborhoods and lists them with respect to how close and how easy they are to get to from downtown. I like the Duboce Triangle area also. It's very easy to get to downtown but has a lovely, leafy ambiance. A couple of nice dining options too: Duboce Park café and the more upscale l'Ardoise. A big Safeway grocery store nearby too.

The Castro is another area that has good transit, especially the closer you are to Market -- it's basically on the other side of Market from Duboce Triangle.

But there are tons of great neighborhoods. And as Michael H rightly says, the town in not that large that, unless you stay at the beach, it's not a long way to anywhere.

8. Re: what area to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 06:18