We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visting San Francisco - Stay in Daly City

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
103 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Visting San Francisco - Stay in Daly City

We will coming to San Francisco in march this year and I was looking for a nice hotel without paying a fortune for room and parking.

We found a lot of excellent reviews about the Hampton Inn Daly City and would like to stay there for 5 nights.

We will have a rental car but we are planing to use BART and a MUNI Pass during our stay.

I would like to get your advice if it's convenient and practical to explore San Francisco with a starting point in Daly City...

Furthermore wie might do a side trip to Bodega Bay - does it make sense?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,554 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visting San Francisco - Stay in Daly City

Convenient? No. Practical? Questionable.

Here's a few things to consider:

1. You'll be paying at least $6.30 per person per day to "commute" on your vacation into SF. Two of you? You're talking close to $15/day . . . I suggest you add whatever this daily cost will be to your budget for a hotel in SF.

2. You'll also be spending the better part of an hour a day on this "commute." That's just the station to station time plus a minor allowance for wait time at the station. It doesn't count the time to get to/from your hotel to the BART Station.

3. There will be an even greater inconvenience factor. Forget your umbrella, camera . . . want to drop off a load of shopping instead of carrying it around all day . . . want to rest or take a nap before dinner . . . weather change and you're over or under dressed . . . consider all the reasons you might want to visit your hotel room during a day in the city. With a hotel in Daly City it's going to cost you the above dollars & time *if* you decide you want to return to your room and if you decide it's not worth it, then you'll have the "burden" of whatever it is that is making you want to go back to your hotel.

4. You'll also be "trapped" by the BART schedule. While it does run fairly late, heaven forbid if you miss the last train and/or decide there is something going on that will last past the last train.

Bottom Line: Only rarely is it recommended to stay outside of SF while visiting SF.

If you give us a budget figure, forum regulars can probably come up with some possible hotels. Some will have free parking, but let us know if you have to have the car or not.

On this note I will point out that generally it is recommended that, if possible, it's better to *not* have a car when visiting SF.

That's my $.02,

hlo

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visting San Francisco - Stay in Daly City

The area around the Hampton is a nice enough place to live, but... I would not choose it for my vacation. It lacks the "magic" that is the City, the feel is more typical of any U.S. suburb, where people drive everywhere to malls with chain stores and multiplex cinemas. There are fast food places but not much in terms of restaurants, coffee shops or bars otherwise. Not a good choice if you plan on looking for nightlife. If you choose it, I would probably drive into the City and park in one of the cheaper all day parking lots South of Market, then take MUNI around the City.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,598 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visting San Francisco - Stay in Daly City

In the upper right hand corner of the screen, see the Top Questions about "Hotels: Where to Stay When Visiting San Francisco." This will tell you the pros and cons and staying various places, and hopefully you'll be convinced that staying in San Francisco is the best way to see San Francisco.

I wish I could show you the neighborhood where the Daly City Hampton Inn is located, and it would really convince you: a boring, suburban area with no character, a mile from the BART station, no ambience, nothing to see or do within a reasonable walking distance, and dull gray weather much of the time. The most exciting things in the neighborhood are Daly City Civic Center, the police department, state Department of Motor Vehicles, and a post office. The biggest thing on the skyline in any direction is a hospital on a hill

If you stay in San Francisco, you won't need a rental car unless you want to get one for a day trip, for instance to Muir Woods. Unlike Daly City transit options, the greater downtown San Francisco area (which includes Union Square, the Embarcadero, and Fisherman's Wharf) has multiple alternatives: BART for regional or limited San Francisco destinations, and Muni cable cars, buses, metro trains, and historic streetcars to go all over the City. Particularly around Union Square, there are almost unlimited choices for dining, shopping, sightseeing, entertainment, etc., almost any time, and without long walks or combinations of walking and transit.

The expense of riding back and forth between a suburb and the City may well eat up any savings on your room rate. And if you turn in the rental car while here, that could be hundreds of dollars in savings.

The biggest reason to stay in San Francisco is to experience San Francisco. No suburb will give you the same ambience. No suburb lets you look out your window and see cable cars, the Bay, or people coming and going the way they do in San Francisco. Unless you like a diet of McDonald's or Carls Jr., you won't find a lot of late-night dining around the Hampton; at Union Square, you can go to legitimate theatre around the corner from the hotel, walk to a number of late-night eateries or bars, and end your evening at Walgreen's 24-hour store buying postcards to send home.

We never know how many people we persuade to stay in the City instead of in suburbia. But we always hope we do, because we want people to have the best possible experience here. You're coming a very long way to enjoy San Francisco, so make the most of it.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,726 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visting San Francisco - Stay in Daly City

Agree with everyone. It is not a good option. Please research the budget options already discussed.

FR - you CAN show the OP the neighborhood via Google streetview http://goo.gl/maps/R0Qb1 and walking around.

OP - what is this excellent rate you got in actual dollar amounts?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,239 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visting San Francisco - Stay in Daly City

There are a number of budget friendlier options on Lombard Street with free parking, easy access to public transportation and within walking distance of fine dining on Union or Chestnut streets. Most lodgings in that area are also within walking distance of Fisherman's Wharf, the Marina Green, the Presidio and the Golden Gate Bridge.

Some of your options:

Coventry Inn

Chelsea Inn

Cow Hollow Inn & Suites

Buena Vista Motor Inn

Redwood Inn

Hotel del Sol offers family suites if there are more than 2 of you.

BTW- That $6.30 price to ride BART each day is NOT round trip. You're looking at $25.00 a day for 2 of you to ride BART into the city. Even more if there are more than 2 of you!!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,726 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visting San Francisco - Stay in Daly City

Oh, I see no one directed you over to the Top Questions on the right yet. Here are the relevant links:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k628810…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c195843/San-Fr…

Please let us know your budget in actual number and whether you need to keep your car for SF (middle of a road trip?).

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,239 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visting San Francisco - Stay in Daly City

I think Frisco_Roadrunner mentioned the top questions in the first line of response #3, chinita415 :-)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,789 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visting San Francisco - Stay in Daly City

I don't know if it's also been questioned as to why you have a car. Sometimes we understand that it can be cheaper if you are coming from somewhere and headed somewhere else after San Francisco - the longer rental can be cheaper, but if you're circumstances are flying into SFO, then you should consider postponing that car rental until you leave the city.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,598 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visting San Francisco - Stay in Daly City

** "FR - you CAN show the OP the neighborhood via Google streetview" **

Oh. yeah, it slipped my mind, lol. I am such a low-tech person.

And I shouldn't have said this is a boring suburban area. That wasn't a nice thing to say. I should have said it is an exceedingly unexciting suburban area. As latinafro said, an OK place to live, but for visitors, especially folks coming from another continent for a lifetime dream trip to unique and fascinating San Francisco--NOPE

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visting San Francisco - Stay in Daly City

in front of the hotel, down below is a 13 lane freeway. you can see half of a green sign. the rooms all look in the back so sound shouldn't be a problem. you need to get rid of the car. and as low tech Frisco said, you will miss out of the magic of staying IN SF. your walk to BART is 1.1 miles. thanks chinita, i was wondering where this was. if you want to go to bodega bay rent a car for the day.