We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transportation Question

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Public Transportation Question

If you are traveling on the F Street Car do you signal you want to get off at a stop (like many buses) or does the street car stop at each stop like trams in other cities? Also is the entire trip a flat rate? Tried 511.org but could not find the fares for the street cars.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transportation Question

Just like all buses or streetcars, there is a pull cord to signal that you want the next stop. However, the F line is so busy that it stops at every stop anyway.

All Muni is a flat rate -- $2 for everything except the cable cars which are $6. www.sfmta.com for better Muni info.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transportation Question

Good information from whiteDahlia.

Just a minor note that I've been on one of those historic streetcars where the usual pull cord was a bit odd. I can't remember details now, but there was only pull cord in some sections or there were buttons or some other mechanism to request a stop. I suppose some small differences are to be expected when those historic streetcars come from around the world and from different time periods. As I remember, that oddball streetcar also had wooden seats and they were all facing the center aisle.

In any case, as whiteDahlia says, you probably won't have to worry much about pulling a cord to request a stop unless you're going between unusual points at a less busy time of day. Those streetcars are normally busy, with people getting on and off at most stops. At the major tourist stops like Powell, Embarcadero, the ferry building, pier 39 and fisherman's wharf it seems like a huge number of the people on the car get on and off. :-)

Mentioned in this post
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
834 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transportation Question

Thank you both for your explanations. Since I am from a tourist area and commute by public transportation I always see tourists struggling with how the public transportation works. So when I travel I like to ask beforehand how thing work so I don't make life more difficult for myself and others.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 20:11
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transportation Question

holodan is correct. The F lines uses historic streetcars from all over the world so some of the "stop request" methods vary. I think it's the squared off looking cars from Milan that have a button rather than a cord. But as I recall, they're all fairly well marked. (Although the "exit" sign is in Italian!)

One other note, on the cable cars, do NOT pull the cord. That's for something else that the conductor uses. Cable cars always stop at every block.

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transportation Question

Get a multi day muni pass if you are going to travel on F line, buses and cable cars every day of your stay.

6. Re: Public Transportation Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 06:18