We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first draft itinerary and your comments please.

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
first draft itinerary and your comments please.

Traveling with my sister, both first time visit to SF, we're in our late 50's. I arrive late Tuesday Feb 25 (11 PM). My sister will be flying in from Toronto and arriving about an hour earlier. While she is waiting for me, she will hopefully get our Muni passes, if they are available from the info desk at that time of night. We'll take a taxi to our hotel, due to the time of day. I'm booked at the Inn San Francisco. I do realize it's a bit out of the way, but this place seems to fit all my criteria. Plus they have a hot tub in the back.

We have 4 full days plus bit on Sunday as our plane leaves at 4 PM.

Wednesday

get to Union Square

Powell-Hyde Cable Car

Wharf 39 (double decker Carousel, piano steps and the seals)

Musee Meccanique

Lunch : Codmother (I do love my fish & chips)

Pick up bikes (eIelectric assist probably, don't want to burn myself out the first day)

Wave Organ

Bike across bridge to Sausilito

ferry back to SF

get some supper and go heal in the hot tub

Still need to figure out a few options for supper and need to figure out which ferry to take back to SF so I don't mess up on the timing.

Thursday

Alamo Square

Haight Ashbury

Golden Gate Park

Moraga Steps

Back to GG Park

Ocean Beach

Sutro Baths

Sunset at area

I feel like I'm hopping all over the place on this day. I'm thinking of renting bikes for GG Park, and then taking Muni back down to Ocean Beach. But then they would be a problem if we went to the Moraga Steps. This is my Birthday, the alibi for the trip! I'd like to go out and listen to some good music. Didn't see anything of interest at the major venues, I'm thinking of the Saloon. Sounds like that is the place to hear good local musicians. Any comments or other suggestions?

Friday

South of Market Architecture Stroll

(city guides tour 10 AM)

Chinatown

Cable Car Museum

City Lights Bookstore

General exploration of this area - I'm good at wandering

Telegraph Hill/Filbert or Grenwich Steps

Lunch: Sotto Mare

Saturday

1:30 Precita Eyes Tour

Sunday

leave for airport

plane leaves @ 3:55

I've never planned out a trip like this before, but I've been waiting a very long time to get to SF and I don't really see ever making it back there again. I made a list of all my must-see/do places and pinned them on Google Earth and have tried to group them in a tidy (hah!) manner.

I'd like to visit a few more steps, shorter ones though. Do you see anything that can logically be pulled from Thursday to Saturday? I have a lot of time left on Saturday - I just want to make sure my absolutely must do items are covered first before I start filling in that day. Transportation will be a mixture of walking, transit and taxis.

So thanks for any comments

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first draft itinerary and your comments please.

Got one eye on the football game so just a couple of brief comments:

I don't think you'll be able to get Muni Passes at the airport at that time of night. Think the Info Desks close at 9PM but check www.sfmta.com

Electric assist bikes -- be aware that you are not allowed to have them on (ie in power mode) on the bridge sidewalk. Those things weigh a lot more than a regular bike so understand that for about 3 miles you'll have to peddle.

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: first draft itinerary and your comments please.

Good info White Dahlia. The only info I could find about the hours for the info desk said they were open till 1:30 AM which kinda surprised me. So maybe we won't be able to get them that night, too bad would simplify things in the morning.

I was wondering if the electric assist bikes were allowed on the bridge bike lane or not. You know, I'd forgotten about the extra weight. I was just thinking the end of Feb is the peak of my couch potato-ness and it might be good to go that way. Maybe not, it's not like I'm going to be doing the ride without stopping.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first draft itinerary and your comments please.

I checked the mta and sfo sites but they've both been redesigned (by designers who have gone for "pretty" over "informational") so I couldn't find the hours. But they're in Baggage Claim so it's not out of the way so check for it.

(Go Niners!)

Edited: 12 January 2014, 21:39
San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: first draft itinerary and your comments please.

Your itinerary looks great! I would suggest moving the moraga steps to Thursday though. One restaurant I would suggest is Anchor & Hope on Minna St. It's so good! Also, if I were you, I would go for a stroll on Valencia St (If you take Muni here, don't get confused about the pronunciation! It's pronounced Va-len-see-a, not Va-len-cha, as the buses say!). It's such a great area with lots of little shops and great restaurants! Also, I've sure you've heard of Lombard Street! If not, it's the supposedly windiest street in San Francisco! It is NOT actually the windiest street in SF! The windiest street is Vermont Street (btw 20th St & 22nd St) in Potrero Hill. It's not anywhere near as touristy, but it's a cool secret! Just beware: the neighborhood also isn't as nice as Lombard Street. It's not dangerous or anything, but it's not as clean. Finally, don't forget to get some of the city's best sourdough bread (literally to die for!) at Boudin Bakery on Fisherman's Wharf! You can go to the factory and see how the bread is made too! One more thing: do not call it Frisco or San Fran :). Enjoy your trip!!!

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: first draft itinerary and your comments please.

Thanks Kifbender. Valencia Street looks interesting. I'm probably going to Clarion Alley and it runs between Mission and Valencia, so it fits in well. A few areas I "visited" on Google Earth look a bit sketchy, so daylight hours only eh. The Anchor and Hope - I've noted the name and your recommendation. If it still looks anything like the outside from the dated Google Earth streetview I would have passed it by without a thought, but will consider it if in the area and hungry. Vermont street is crazy, but it doesn't look like a good walking street. Is there a trail off to the side or do those steps lead to residences?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,045 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first draft itinerary and your comments please.

>>If it still looks anything like the outside from the dated Google Earth streetview I would have passed it by without a thought, <<

That's actually common in San Francisco, our restaurants frequently face inward rather than outward (there are few patios, or sidewalk tables, and many of our old-school restaurants don't have large windows). They're not dumps, but no fancy facades.

7. Re: first draft itinerary and your comments please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 05:18