We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bay to Breakers race hotel choice

Germantown,WI
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Bay to Breakers race hotel choice

I am a part of a group of 12 people(6 couples) coming to run the Bay to Breakers race. We had originally booked the Hilton Financial district for $227/ night for 4 nights. We just got the opportunity to book the Hyatt regency for a rate of $219/night. Which hotel do you think would be better? We plan on doing some sightseeing and just exploring the city.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bay to Breakers race hotel choice

I would make the switch. The Hyatt Regency is quite handy for transit connections, including BART (our regional rapid transit system) from the airport, Muni Metro (underground light rail) down Market St (one train going all the way to Ocean Beach), the California line cable car, and the historic F-Wharves streetcars going to Fisherman's Wharf.

It has a lovely atrium lobby, is close to many nice restaurants near the Embarcadero too.

Depending on where your race starts (lower Market St.?) your hotel will be within 1 or 2 blocks of the starting line.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,705 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bay to Breakers race hotel choice

These two hotels are maybe 10 blocks or so apart, call it a ~10 minute walk. I stayed at the Hilton many years ago (when it was something else, maybe a Holiday Inn?) and it was okay to good, but nothing to brag about (wouldn't be surprised if there hasn't been a refurb since then) and, while I've been in the Hyatt many times, I've never stayed there.

Generally speaking they're close enough that it's not that much difference between the two location-wise, but I would give a slight edge to the Hyatt (closer to Market/public transit and the waterfront/ferry building). On the other hand the Hilton does better for Chinatown and North Beach.

If you knew some specific things you'd be spending a lot of time doing it might influence my recommendation one-way or another, but overall I would probably still give the Hyatt a slightly better grade regarding location (but to repeat, it's a *slightly* better grade).

That said, when you add a (slightly) lower room rate, nicer public space (the Hyatt's lobby/atrium is pretty impressive) to the slightly better location (including for the Bay-to-Breakers) . . . well, everything points to the Hyatt. Thus, I suppose that's the one I'd go with.

Bottom Line: Unless there is some other reason (brand loyalty, "frequent flyer miles" or something like that), I don't see a reason to switch unless you consider the hassle factor of switching not worth saving a few bucks and (perhaps) a few minutes walking/transit time each day during your stay.

That's my $.02,

hlo

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bay to Breakers race hotel choice

For Bay to Breakers? Switch! You will be very close to the starting line. And it's a nicer hotel. Price differential is minimal but I'd do it based on the quality and location -- especially for BtoB.

4. Re: Bay to Breakers race hotel choice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 06:20