We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel prices

Plaisance-du-Touch...
Level Contributor
147 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel prices

Hi,

I'm checking hotel prices for mid-July but they all seem really expensive. Ideally, we'd like a comfortable (but not luxury) hotel near Union Square.The cheapest I've been able to find is $219/night (incl.tax) from the Chancellor. Is that a good deal?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,669 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel prices

It is Summer. Plenty of visitors to SF. Everyone has a different perspective and price range so not sure what your definition of expensive is, there is Semicon convention until the 10th but nothing big in SF mid July

The chancellor at that prices sounds good. It is a well liked hotel by visitors and regulars and is known for great service and nice rooms for a historic boutique hotel - the location is just off union square

portal.sanfrancisco.travel/calendar_public/

Plaisance-du-Touch...
Level Contributor
147 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel prices

Thanks. I'll give it a bit more thought.

Plaisance-du-Touch...
Level Contributor
147 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel prices

Also, do you think prices are likely to go down between now and July or should I book a hotel now?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,669 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel prices

Well I doubt they will go down as you get closer. SF rates typically go one way UP. If there is excess inventory it gets sold last minute but it is a risk or gamble

When we book a room we get a cancelable reservation. And check just a few times and in major US cities we awe not surprised if rates go up.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel prices

Yes, I'd book something refundable now and then refund after booking something cheaper if it comes up later.

Have you looked at the budget hotels top question? tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k628810… there might be something less expensive among those. You can also play games with the blind booking sites such as hotwire or priceline if you have the time and know the strategies of how to deal with them.

But $219 isn't too high for San Francisco. I know sometimes the Chancellor is in the $180 kind of range, but prices really depend on supply and demand, so if they think they'll fill hotels charge more than if they think they need to drop prices to fill rooms.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel prices

The OPs quote of $219 includes tax (which is 16%) which makes the room rate $190. Not bad for July.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,173 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel prices

I would take the Chancellor at that price since it includes tax. We stay there often and like the atmosphere and the service.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,423 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel prices

San Francisco is a reasonably expensive hotel city.

Not like London or New York but at certain times of year rates can be high.

That rate for the Chancellor is pretty good for June.

I would book it now.

9. Re: Hotel prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 06:18