We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Senior Clipper Card

Rockport...
Level Contributor
1 post
130 reviews
Save Topic
Senior Clipper Card

The Senior Clipper Card is a good deal. You need to be 65+ and fill out an application with proof of age to get one, but there is no fee. We downloaded and filled out the form ahead of time, then got our cards after a short wait at the Transit Store at the Powell BART stop; there are eight kiosks at various BART stations. You can pay the clerk cash or use the credit card machines nearby to add fare before using.

Once you have a Clipper Card you can tap and go on any transit, including the cable car. On our first cable car ride, the conductor saw our passes but didn't use the handheld scanner, so we rode for free!

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Senior Clipper Card

Thanks, RockportBirder, it isn't often we hear about visitors taking advantage of this deal. You can keep your card for future visits if you don't use it up. Seniors get a 70% discount on regular fares. This almost makes being a senior (65+) worth it.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Senior Clipper Card

<<On our first cable car ride, the conductor saw our passes but didn't use the handheld scanner, so we rode for free!>>

There is no senior discount on the cable cars except after 9PM ... the $6 fare should have applied.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,202 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Senior Clipper Card

If you're simply paying as you go for Muni (buses, cable cars, streetcars, etc.) as far as I know the senior fare (where there is one) should apply whether or not you have a Clipper card. There's no reason to not just chuck in 75 cents on the bus if you're entitled to the senior fare. The driver "can" ask for proof of eligibility (which the Clipper card would forestall), but I've frankly never seen them do so.

If you buy a month-long senior Fast Pass, though, I believe it is only $15 or so and would be a definite savings over the $64 monthly regular pass. I don't know that these are sold throughout the month, though, so if interested, it would be worth checking out. (This is only available on a Clipper Card.)

On other systems (BART, ferries, etc.), there might be an advantage to have the Senior Clipper card.

Edited: 18 January 2014, 01:40
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Senior Clipper Card

<<If you buy a month-long senior Fast Pass, though, I believe it is only $15 >>

They've been going up pretty steadily and are now $23 but good only on a calendar month basis (and only on Clipper).

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,202 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Senior Clipper Card

>>are now $23<<

Yikes! I knew they'd gone up from the $12 mark I'd known previously, but didn't realize they'd gone up so high. So for a visitor, that's not that much less than the one-week Visitor Passport.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Senior Clipper Card

With a Clipper card you have to be careful to understand the rules of the transit system you are riding on ... on Bart you tap going through the gate, then again when leaving... on Muni you tap on (sometimes on the outside of the bus) on Caltrain you tap on, then tap off... without gates some forget and pay the maximum fare...

Clipper cannot be used for parking at Bart stations, you need to have cash ($1 or $5 bills only) or a conventional Bart card.

I have a Clipper card and use it, but it is far from perfect....

Randy

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,996 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Senior Clipper Card

Where did you go in the bay area besides SF and SFO and how long were you in the area

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,365 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Senior Clipper Card

Isn't a Clipper Card mainly for commuters, not tourists? Or am I confused.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Senior Clipper Card

Bottom line what the OP is really saying is that the senior fare on Muni is a good deal. Because there was no savings to them (other than dodging cable car fare) by using Clipper.

Senior fare on Muni is $.75 (as Susan indicated). With the exception of cable cars. No discounts until 9PM and then the fare is $3.

sf
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Senior Clipper Card

Randy you're wrong about parking, you can use it at BART parking, but need to input the car license online to the Clipper Card.