We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in sf

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in sf

Hi, I'm planning a road trip around the west and starting at sf, we will have two full days in sf and are planning to see the Golden Gate Bridge, visit Alcatraz, go to the Walt Disney museum and hopefully catch a baseball match. We've done a lot of resurch but can't decide on where to stay, does anyone have any ideas? A nice but not too expensive hotel would be great to start our trip or a homely bnb, were be coming in sept thanks

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in sf

It's a very busy and relatively expensive time to visit. What's your budget?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in sf

If you can wait and not rent the car during your San Francisco visit, you would find many nice places to stay in the Union Square area and take public transportation. Not sure what your budget is. We got a nice room at Sir Francis Drake for around $180. Other hotels can be found in the area for a bit less. Chancellor, The Andrews are a few I looked at.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in sf

I'd say our budget is around $100 a night but I'd rather stay somewhere nice and pay a bit more than stay somewhere not nice, it's the start of our road trip so will want somewhere close to public transport as we pick up our car on the way out of sf

Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in sf

We're doing the same sort of trip in May. Look at the Seaside Inn. Best price we found that looks reasonable. And has free parking!!!

People have also recommended the hollow cow, Chelsea inn and Coventry inn. But they look a little dated to me

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,271 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in sf

$100/night, especially with the total tax on hotel rooms in SF ~15%, means you're looking at budget hotels. There is a Top Question on budget hotels which used ~$125/night and you should probably check it out.

$100/night (even including tax) is possible, but generally only during non-peak times. .

As pointed out September is a busy month and even the $125 figure may be difficult to achieve. To the extent you're flexible in your days (to avoid conventions which alike demand) you have a better chance of getting a cheaper rate.

Bottom Line: I think in September a budget of $125-$150/night for a basic hotel is a more realistic figure. Not saying you can't beat this, but you've got to be a little careful. If you want something more than a budget hotel, you're going to have boost the dollars significantly.

That's my $.02,

hlo

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,023 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in sf

If you're doing research on lodgings and find a hotel for $100-125, don't pay them anything until you come here and ask us about it. Give us the name of the hotel, or if it is a B&B or VRBO, the address or street intersection (e.g. Geary and Mason Streets).

That rate is extremely low for San Francisco, especially in September when lodgings are in demand because of major conventions and events in town. We don't want you to put a non-refundable deposit on a dump or a place in a bad area where you won't be happy or feel safe.

7. Re: Where to stay in sf

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 06:19