We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation

Will be staying 4 days in San Fran in June. Have been researching different areas and hotels for a while.....I think I have decided on the Hilton at Union Sq for my family of 4 but my only concern is that it may be too close to the tenderloin area?? Is this right.

Thanks for any help

Danielle

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation

Nope you are in the union square area and NOT in the tenderloin and you will have to walk a few blocks West to get there and during the day, while you will see people hanging out and panhandlers in the tenderloin it is also an area where locals and the office crowd eat .

But of all the hotels in SF, why the convention hotel called the Hilton ? Surely for that same price you can find the Handlery or Donatello or the Westin or the grand Hyatt or the Marriott. Union square or the orchard or Orchard garden or the Nikko or many many more places. But if you are planning to be one with the convention crowd and are getting a deal at that Hilton sure do stay there . That hotel location is fine and rooms are ok

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation

Belo is right___you would have no problems at the Hilton BUT the Hilton is such a boring place.

Always reminds me of walking into a hospital or airport terminal.

There are plenty of other good choices.

Let us know.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,187 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation

** "Always reminds me of walking into a hospital or airport terminal." **

LOL.

The Hilton is next to the Tenderloin, but you can easily avoid the bad areas by staying to the east and north of the hotel.

It's a decent enough place, but as others said, it's quite possible that you could find something for a similar price with more character--maybe a boutique hotel, a historic property, or even a larger independent. Most large corporate hotels are OK, but not very exciting or interesting.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation

Ok thanks....it was the price on expedia that made me interested in the Hilton but maybe I will look at the other places you mentioned!! I did like the orchard garden but it was double the price!!

I'll keep searching..

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,352 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation

A few comments:

1. You've got the right information regarding the Hilton & the "dreaded Tenderloin." If the Hilton was unsafe (which it isn't) then so are about 1/2 of the hotels located on the western side of the Union Square area (again, which they aren't).

2. While I personally tend to agree with the observations regarding large "convention" hotels versus boutique or non-modern/cookie cutter hotels, I'm probably not as against staying at the Hilton as others. In my opinion if you've got a good rate at the Hilton and won't hate staying at a large convention-type hotel, I'd probably stick with it. Personally, I don't think it's worth the hassle & headache of starting up a new search when after all the time & effort you put into it, you could easily end up with similar hotel, perhaps pay more, perhaps be in (essentially) the same location, etc.

Now if there was a small handful of hotels that you were sure you'd enjoy more, I might check their rates & availabilities, but I wouldn't spend more than a minimal amount of time on it.

But that's me,

hlo

6. Re: Accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 06:18