We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about SF hotels.....

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Topic
Question about SF hotels.....

Hi there,

Hotels in SF area seem to be expensive, plus parking can be almost $50 a day. How is the Oakland area for hotels? Safe with a family? I am sure traveling into SF from Oakland is not easy...but seems to be a big difference in hotel prices....thanks

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about SF hotels.....

To visit San Francisco best to stay in San Francisco. Parking is very expensive but there are some motels with free parking. Check this link for more info on free parking hotels/motels. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c195843/San-Fr…

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about SF hotels.....

I definitely wouldn't stay in Oakland.

Check out Motel type accommodation in the Marina District.

www.sanfrancisco.com/hotels/marina.html

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,520 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about SF hotels.....

Don't pick up the car until you are ready to leave SF for your non-mountainous visit to Lake Tahoe.

Read the Top Questions articles on the right including

Getting to SF by Air & Train. SF Public Transit: MUNI and BART (Updated Jan 2014)

WHAT TO DO AND SEE IN SF? (updated NOVEMBER 2013)

Transit to sights from 1) Union Square and 2) Fisherman's Wharf (Updated May, 2013)

Can I see a MAP of SF with Attractions and Hotel Areas and Neighborhoods ? (May 2013)

Hotels: Where to Stay When Visiting San Francisco (December 2013)

Budget Hotels, Hostels, and Hotels with Parking, (Updated January 2014)

Which Hotels for a family of 5 or more?

Traveling with kids, where to stay, what to do? (Updated Jan. 2014)

Why not have a car in SF? Advise on CAR RENTALS for visitors (updated Nov. 2013)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,708 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about SF hotels.....

All good advice above.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about SF hotels.....

I think CasaAzul (who visits with some regularity) said it best: To visit San Francisco best to stay in San Francisco

What is your budget per night, what are your dates and how many in your party.

I know from a previous post that you are travelling with kids, and in such cases I think it's an even worse idea to be a long (expensive) trek on public transit just to get back to the room for a little down time. I'm certain there are better alternatives.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,677 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about SF hotels.....

There are a number of budget friendlier hotels with free parking on Lombard Street near the Marina District. Coventry Inn, Buena Vista Inn, Redwood Inn, Hotel Del Sol, Chelsea Inn, Cow Hollow Inn. All within walking distance of shops and restaurants on Chesnut and Union Streets.

Couldn't pay me to stay in Oakland!! Read into that what you will. There's a reason why Oakland is so cheap.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about SF hotels.....

someone who has NYC, has their home base should not be surprised with prices on the West coast especially the larger cities and I can assure you that NYC prices are even higher than SF most of the time.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,949 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about SF hotels.....

You can probably find what you need within your budget in SF with the budget hotel link list or perhaps a rental home as you have 5. Rental homes may suit the kids better depending on age and your family's travel style.

Having said that, when I visited NYC this past summer and lurked at that forum, I saw there are folks who choose to "commute" from Long Island City to Manhattan to save money. The commute from Oakland to SF is longer than LIC to Midtown though. And I stayed in Chelsea btw.

Edited: 27 January 2014, 03:47
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about SF hotels.....

All good advice above. I'll throw in one of the penny-wise/pound-foolish aspects. BART fare will run in the neighborhood of $7/person (round-trip) per day and take minimally something like 30 minutes/day (again, round-trip, but that doesn't include waiting time). Exact stations, walking time, etc can have some impact, but for broad numbers these are close enough.

Got 4 people? You'll be paying about 1/2 the cost of Union Square parking and losing more than 30 minutes/day in commute time to save a few bucks by staying in Oakland. There are *lots* more intangibles, but I'm too lazy to go into them right now.

I also think the Lombard Row hotels and/or some of the others scattered around that have free parking are probably your best bet. That's said, I'd even suggest biting the bullet and paying for parking in Union Square or Embarcadero over "commuting" from Oakland (oh yeah, make sure those Oakland hotels don't charge for parking too).

That's my $.02,

hlo

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,356 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about SF hotels.....

I stay in Oakland when I have more than one day's worth of appointments there, but other than that I would never stay East Bay to see San Francisco.

A) You don't need a car at all in SF. If you need a car one day to drive to Napa or Muir Woods, rent a car for the day

B) If you need a car to continue your trip, rent it the day you want to leave

C) If you have a car because you are driving in from someplace else, leave the car in a lot out of the City and you stay in it.

D) No matter your budget, you can find a suitable hotel in SF, there is no need to stay in Oakland