We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF hotels fall short in rankings...

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,693 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
SF hotels fall short in rankings...

…sfgate.com/getlost/…

Only the Ritz made the AAA Five Diamond list while there were many SoCal representatives. I also noticed that Hotel Valencia on Santana Row down the street made the Conde' Nest Gold list when I got my Travel and Leisure in the mail but not many SF ones.

Does it matter to visitors or locals? Do SF hotels need to up their game or will folks still come regardless?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,693 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SF hotels fall short in rankings...

Intersting to note one of the comments on SF Gate said they would rather stay outside the city and commute in... They obviously do not read TA! :p

Edited: 27 January 2014, 07:32
Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,427 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SF hotels fall short in rankings...

Folks will still come regardless and will be completely oblivious to AAA Five Diamond lists.

In the total number of visitors to the city how many will stay at the Ritz Carlton.

There are many hotels in this city doing a great job and if they don't make this list_____who cares ?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,326 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SF hotels fall short in rankings...

Based on the questions I have seen in the CA forums and a few more TA's target forums audience mostly goes for mid price and budget hotels and not for the luxury hotels. That is not to say that visitors who use TA don't stay in the expensive and luxury hotels. They do as is seen by all the reviews but they may be doing their own research or just going by reviews or just booking via a travel site...

there was a time when AAA was just the only game in town but now, I have not seen a AAA guide book in over a decade

Edited: 27 January 2014, 08:21
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,404 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SF hotels fall short in rankings...

I don't take AAA ratings as seriously as I do Conde Nast and Travel + Leisure since they come from actual travelers. AAA claims they review 29,000 hotels annually, which I have a hard time believing. For example, there are only 3 5 diamond hotels in all of Hawaii according to AAA, but from what I consider top notch, 5 star hotels, AAA is missing at least 10 hotels and those are the ones that are on the Conde Nast and Travel + Leisure sites with quantifiable criteria.

So no, AAA won't effect SF visitors or hotels and I doubt it has in over 20 years. Gone are the days when you pull out your AAA guidebook and thumb through the book to find where to spend the night tonight.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,693 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SF hotels fall short in rankings...

I was surprised too that AAA still has ratings. But you do see the plaques in the lobby. Agree the T&L lists are more relevant though the listings are so posh beyond my paygrade it makes me want to work more to see those places or win the lottery. Mid range options for me. There are no T&L or Conde' Nast plaques or are those joints too classy for such a display?

It's interesting that TA has really gone global and asserted its presence. I was in Belize last week and saw numerous establishments proudly display their green TA certificates on their window. It's a new world order.

Edited: 27 January 2014, 14:30
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,326 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SF hotels fall short in rankings...

before google maps there was mapquest and before that there was triptik and before that maps and I guess maps are still there and mapquest is still there and google maps is still there but don't know if triptik is still around

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SF hotels fall short in rankings...

All these lists are ridiculous. Especially things published on SFGate -- anything they can stick up on the site that doesn't involve actual journalism.

I think I can count on the fingers of one hand how many threads there have been on the SF forum asking about 5* hotels. huntlawoffice's thread on budget hotels is 1000 times more useful.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,693 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SF hotels fall short in rankings...

I know people who still use Triptik for their itineraries.

So folks don't think there are some hidden gems or glaring omission to the posh options on SF?

Are there any other travelers generated endorsement besides TA for the mid range options? Seems like they are the major player in this demograhic. Folks are putting those green TA decals on windows in SF too I have noticed - along with the red Yelp decals.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,693 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SF hotels fall short in rankings...

I agree WD. I am certain hLo's list has contributed to increased visits and reviews on TA of those properties. Wonder which one "earned" a TA certificate after his list.

Edited: 27 January 2014, 15:05
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,236 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SF hotels fall short in rankings...

>>>>>Does it matter to visitors or locals? Do SF hotels need to up their game or will folks still come regardless?<<<

Utter nonsense.