We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese/Lunar New Year/Tet 2014

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,720 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Chinese/Lunar New Year/Tet 2014

This Friday Jan 31 is the beginning of the new year, Year of the Horse.

The children of SF Unified have the day off (the only one in the US I think). This was implemented after I graduated HS but many kids took the day off anyway when I was coming up.

The marquee event the parade is not until Sat Feb 15, though the flower street fair was last weekend.

http://www.chineseparade.com

Many families like mine will spend the weekend visiting families. I will be all over SF and the East Bay. But visitors no doubt will see lots of CNY activities in Chinatown with firecrackers and lion dancers.

Here in San Jose, the big Tét festival will occur this weekend at the fairgrounds. I work nearby and have heard the lion dancers and drummers practice all last week and today after work.

http://tetvietnamsj.com/general/pid/161

(I know not in the Bay Area, but in case visitors are going to Vegas as well... check out the Bellagio conservatory and Wynn/ Encore for CNY festivities the next month)

Oh and there is some big football game this Sunday too. ; )

Gung hay fat choy and chúc mừng năm mới everyone. May the new year bring good health and prosperity to you and your loved ones.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 06:39
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,821 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese/Lunar New Year/Tet 2014

Happy new year to you too. We'll be having some family dinners and lunches. This is probably the worse weekend to go out for Chinese food, kind of like Mothers' Day or Valentine's Day. If anyone is thinking of dim sum for Saturday or Sunday, be prepared for a long long long wait.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,720 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese/Lunar New Year/Tet 2014

Bumping this up since CNY is this Friday. ..

If visitors are in town, it would be fun to stroll in Chinatown or on Clement St. from Friday to Sunday. Families will be visiting, red envelops with money will be handed to kids (and single adults despite age!- humiliating per some of my single 30something kin), and everyone will be dressed on their fone new clothes.

You will see folks buy flowers and other items at the stores. Cherry blossom branches, peonies, and orchids are popular. For a cheap and unique souvenir, you can buy a packet of the envelopes we use to give money. These are traditionally red but now come in gold as well. They also have cartoon characters. I bought some Hello Kitty and Angry Birds one last year and they were a hit with the kids... and some kids at heart. Many of us collected enough $$ during CNY in childhood for a nice saving. For token red envelopes, some of us put chocolate gold coins in them. (what I do with my staff at work).

It will be crowded but also very festive.

Gung hay fat choy!

Edited: 29 January 2014, 17:24
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese/Lunar New Year/Tet 2014

well happy new year to all those who celebrate . Year of the horse. Look at Www.google.com for their version of the horse on that day

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,720 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese/Lunar New Year/Tet 2014

Do share belo!

Another souvenir idea... if you shop at any of the grocery stores on Clement or Chinatown, ask for a calendar. It usually has an elaborate design on the cover page of the zodiac. You can use the calendar or just the cover for wall art. Older Chinese (ahem my mom and MIL) collect these and I can't say no to taking them home.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 17:34
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
35,363 posts
912 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinese/Lunar New Year/Tet 2014

<<but in case visitors are going to Vegas as well... check out the Bellagio conservatory and Wynn/ Encore for CNY festivities the next month>>

The entire MGM family of hotels, plus others, are decked out for The Year of the Horse. The Aria, Vdara, Bellagio, Mandarin Oriental, and more, are decorated to the hilt.

For SF, will be interesting to see what carryover there might be, as we're into town on Monday, at the Hilton Financial District, right at Chinatown, and home of the Chinese CC.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,720 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinese/Lunar New Year/Tet 2014

What is the "Chinese CC"???

I will be going to Vegas next weekend, the first over CNY for me. I am excited to see the Bellagio and others in all its regalia. My family keeps telling me about it...

eta - oh you mean the Chinese Cultural Center at the building of the Hilton? You are in the heart of Chinatown! Just walk across the street to Postmouth Square and up to Stockton. Many places will be closed on Friday but should be open over the weekend.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 02:00
Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chinese/Lunar New Year/Tet 2014

We were lucky enough to be in town last year for Chinese New Year.

Good fun.

I thought that parade would never end.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,309 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chinese/Lunar New Year/Tet 2014

Good point about the parade, as it does close streets around Union Square and Chinatown from about 4 pm to 8 pm or later. There will be ways around it, but you might call your hotel to get specific directions.

And if you want to walk the streets where the locals are shopping and preparing for their holiday, walk along Stockton Street, not Grant.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,309 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chinese/Lunar New Year/Tet 2014

Oh, and the parade route can even be closed to pedestrians crossing during breaks in the parade. Some of the cops can be real sticklers... I witnessed an officer prevent a women with two crying children from crossing 20 feet to their hotel, even though there was nothing coming. So, the best advice... plan to be where you want to be before the parade starts, and plan to stay there!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,720 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chinese/Lunar New Year/Tet 2014

Thanks for the tips Susan. I have not gone out there the past few years. It rained the last time we stood on Stockton, but that was a number of years ago. Remember folks, the parade is not for another 2 weeks.

belo - is THIS what you were referring to?? http://digitalcitizen.ca/tag/super/