We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to watch world cup match in June

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Where to watch world cup match in June

Hi we are in San Francisco for 3 nights late June this year, and on one of the evenings England is playing in a football (soccer) world cup match. Our teenage boys (aged 17 & 15) are keen to watch the match live. It is likely to be shown early evening, and we are looking for advice as to where might be a good place to watch it. I guess it will be possible to see it from our hotel room, but ideally we would like to see it somewhere with a little more atmosphere. Any suggestions? Thank you

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,612 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to watch world cup match in June

world cup should be on in most TVs around the city and you can just about go into any restaurant or lobby area that has a tv and watch it -- now if this is a one of the earlier rounds, well then it depends on which place is showing the game. You cannot take them into a bar (there will be a sign posted) that only serves drinks

Which part of the city are you staying in ?

If you are in Union Square, a place like Jasper's corner tap and grill which takes reservations may not be a bad idea -- just tell them you want to sit near telly.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 13:38
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to watch world cup match in June

Thanks, we'll be staying at the Tuscan Inn (Fisherman's Wharf) or the Argonaut, but will be in the vicinity of the Ferry Building earlier the afternoon of the match.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to watch world cup match in June

Looking at the schedule I see two England matches: June 14 against Italy at 3PM and June 24 against Costa Rica at 9AM. Which are you referring to? There's a 4 hour time difference between here and Brazil.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to watch world cup match in June

If you find a place that sells food as well as booze you can take the kids in. I suggest a place such as Tommy's Joynt or Lefty O'Doul's, both of which are carverys. That way you can watch the match and continually feed your two bottomless pits. I am sure others can recommend similar places around town.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60713-d35…

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60713-d34…

Happy Trails!!!

Edited: 28 January 2014, 17:09
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to watch world cup match in June

Hi I'm referring to the match on 24 June - seems I have got my timings wrong! Is the match 9am Brazil time or SF time? I thought it would be early evening in SF -oops

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to watch world cup match in June

9AM Pacific time; 1PM Brazil time.

Here's where I got the info: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/ -- there is an option to toggle between Brazil time and your local time.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to watch world cup match in June

Sun comes up in the east, Sally, so you can probably have a late breakfast and a lunch while you watch.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to watch world cup match in June

Thanks for your help, we won't be watching that match now! Wouldn't have minded seeing it in the evening , but we will be too busy sightseeing during the day!

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,349 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to watch world cup match in June

What? Sightseeing over a World Cup match? The horror! How often do you get to watch the World Cup? (yes I know, once every 4 years.) Anyway, here is a Yelp page on British pubs. If you change your mind, you'll want to watch the match with others from your country:

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=english+pub&find_loc=San+Francisco%2C+CA

sf
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to watch world cup match in June

I'm sure there'll be a bar on TSS's list that will be recording it and replaying it the same night as its a Tuesday morning game. I'd check the Kezar Pub which is a good Football bar/restaurant where you can bring your sons as they serve food, most British Pubs don't.

Also maybe Mad Dog in the Fog.

Call them before the event to check to check if they'll be replaying the game.

Go Brasil !!!!!!!!!!!

Edited: 28 January 2014, 20:21