We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Blanket Babylon

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Topic
Beach Blanket Babylon

Aloha! I will be in SF towards the end of February and will be staying at the Marriott Union Square. The night of March 1st a friend will be coming up from Santa Cruz to spend the night and celebrate her 50th birthday. At this point the only thing we have scheduled is the 6:30 show of Beach Blanket Babylon.

My first question is whether the theater is with in walking distance of the hotel. Secondly I am looking for recommendation for dinner after the show. There will be three of us for dinner looking to spend around $160 to $200 including drinks. I would prefer to stay close to the theater or the hotel rather than venturing into a new area that evening. As far as cuisine - maybe Italian or seafood. I am open to suggestions!

After dinner we would like to visit a bar where there is some live music. Again, it would be great if this venue was with in walking distance to the hotel.

Thanks in advance!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Blanket Babylon

50 is the new 30 so you can walk it and take in some sights along the way. Some here will suggest Sotto Mare and others if you really want to splash out some cash. But for my money you can't go wrong with Capp's Corner just next to the theater. Good food at a reasonable price, lots of fun as you will be rubbing shoulders with other theater goers. A real SF tradition. You can let down your hair in there. Check out the photos in the review.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60713-d35…

Edited: 29 January 2014, 22:23
San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Blanket Babylon

If you're wearing high heels, I'd say don't walk. Walking shoes - OK.

I think Capp's Corner is a little casual for you, if you want to spend $150-200 for the 3 of you. Check out the Top Questions, to the right on this screen (on a non-mobile device) and see "Italian Restaurants in San Francisco" topic. There are plenty to choose from in the North Beach area.

BBB tip: arrive as early as you can to get the best seats in your chosen section. Front row seats are definitely better than back row seats in each section. The cheap wine they serve there is awful. Save your money and get some after dinner. If you want pre-show drinks, find yourself a nice bar in the neighborhood.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Blanket Babylon

Very good tip about getting there early. I don't know what time they open the doors for the early show but I would recommend being there at least 30 minutes before that. Hopefully you got seats on the Cabaret floor or perhaps one level up. After that the experience doesn't seem to be the same.

March 1 is a Saturday so North Beach will be busy. I don't think Sotto Mare takes reservations so it could be very crowded. And it's seafood only (although very good). However, I think you'll be better off with reservations.

Ideale on Grant and Contadina up the hill a block on Union and Mason (I think) would be good choices for Italian. Original Joe's is another possibility. A group of us had dinner there and as the menu is very extensive there was definitely something for everyone.

If it's in your budget (it'll be close) take a look at The House. It's Asian Fusion and the food is excellent. Another more upscale spot in the area is the Park Tavern which overlooks Washington Square. Very good but definitely needs a reservation.

The places to stay away from are the Stinking Rose (uber touristy) and Rose Pistola (some people like, I'm just not a fan).

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Blanket Babylon

There are other reasons to avoid the Stinking Rose other than the tourists, i.e. the food, especially if you are sharing a hotel room. The only people you are likely to see wearing high heels are the performers at BBB. If you do choose to wear them you will be taking taxis everywhere all night. Don't consider them. Original Joe's is a good choice for a group that might not all like the same things. They have something for everyone there, and it is a real SF joint, even if brushed up in its new locale (which is one of the best in the City).

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Blanket Babylon

Thanks for all the replies. Walking is not a problem as none of us are planning on wearing heels. I am going to start checking out all of the recommendations. I do appreciate all your help! Any ideas on live music?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Blanket Babylon

as for walkable. depends on your walking tolerance. if you look up the points on google maps you can see the distance. there is a hill from US to BBB. if you walk up grant not so bad. the whole city is 7 x 7 miles and your 2 points are well within that. sorry i'm not on my computer to tell you the exact distance.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,904 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Blanket Babylon

I think it would be fun to take a cable car in one direction.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,061 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Blanket Babylon

Perhaps you can get back to Union Square and something tells me Johnny Foleys or Biscuit and Blues or even Lefty O' Douls may be more the sort of music you want to listen but I could be wrong.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach Blanket Babylon

We don't know what kind of music and ambiance you are looking for, but The Saloon, the oldest bar in SF will have music if you don't mind a crowd that doesn't have a fresh manicure.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach Blanket Babylon

We are all physically fit so walking will not be an issue depending on weather! Cable car one way is a great idea. As far as music it would help if I gave you a better idea of what I was looking for ~ We are a group of 3 women aged 45 to 55. We aren't really high heel wearing ladies. Heck, I'm from Kauai - a barely own shoes. Blues or Rock would be nice as most of the live music available here is Hawaiian. I have been looking into all of the above suggestions and have found some great menus and the bars look interesting as well. Thanks for all of the help!