We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-Night Getaway within 1.5 hours or so of SFO

Connecticut
Level Contributor
177 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
2-Night Getaway within 1.5 hours or so of SFO

Hi all,

I'll be attending a conference in SFO next month, and would love to spend a couple of nights with my husband beforehand in a romantic, fun setting, near redwoods or sequoias. We like hiking, great food, and sightseeing. Love wine, but don't necessarily want or need to do wine country touring. Any special places you can recommend? Budget is around $150-250 per night (I know, it's a big range, but we'll go up to the higher end for someplace really nice).

thanks!

Dylan's Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Vantigo Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Urban Trek USA
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Painted Ladies Tour Company
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Private Tours
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,739 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-Night Getaway within 1.5 hours or so of SFO

Before the firing squad gets to you.... I assume your conference is in the city of SF proper and not near SFO which is south of the city?

Hiking, redwoods, maybe beach - how about Santa Cruz? Or Half Moon Bay? There are tiny wine tasting rooms and small wineries along the peninsula. I went to an event here and the views are great: http://www.fogartywinery.com/

Edited: 03 February 2014, 22:03
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,739 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-Night Getaway within 1.5 hours or so of SFO

Hiking, redwoods, beach further north - Sonoma Coast - Jenner, Guerneville.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,537 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-Night Getaway within 1.5 hours or so of SFO

Look at the Point Reyes area. Olema and Inverness have very nice lodging options. Good restaurants are nearby. And there are two redwood parks within a short drive. Oh, and there's miles and miles of deserted beaches (at least during the week).

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,381 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-Night Getaway within 1.5 hours or so of SFO

We head to SF a couple times a year to visit family and see different areas in NoCal. One of our favorite side trips, besides Napa/Sonoma etc. is to head south to Moss Beach, and stay at the Seal Cove Inn. It was originally designed by Karen Brown, who writes B&B Guides.

We take Hwy. 1 down to Moss Beach, visit Half Moon Bay, then the 92 over the mountains to the 280, and back to SFO.

http://www.sealcoveinn.com/

This is basically the route we take:

http://mapq.st/1elvXfp

So much to see and do in the area.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,739 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-Night Getaway within 1.5 hours or so of SFO

Good tip on the inn CAnative. Will file that away when I am feeling stressed and need a staycation. HMB is indeed cute and still accessible to many of the redwood reserves in the area (look at Big Basin, Portola State Park). Regulars know that I LOVE tidepooling. The Fitzgerald Marine Reserves is right there at Moss Beach.

http://www.fitzgeraldreserve.org/newffmrsite/

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2-Night Getaway within 1.5 hours or so of SFO

Often overlooked is the delightful little town of Petaluma. Very relaxing. Take a look at the pictures below to see if there is something you like.

http://www.visitpetaluma.com

I've never stayed here, but it looks like a place I would be willing to try.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32874-d3840976…

Millbrae, California
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2-Night Getaway within 1.5 hours or so of SFO

I have to agree with CAnative, Half Moon Bay is a great beach town to visit. You can hike in the beautiful Purisma Creek Redwoods, shop on Main Street, go wine tasting and then have a romantic dinner overlooking the Ocean. It's just a short 30 minute drive from SFO.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2-Night Getaway within 1.5 hours or so of SFO

My wife and I were married in Petaluma, but love the Seal Cove Inn... have spent time along Tomalas Bay as well... Start with the Seal Cove Inn... there have been some owenship changes since our last visit, but reports are good...

While on the coast side, think about Sams, the Half Moon Bay Brewery or Mezza Luna... Spend time in Half Moon Bay... do the Elephant Seals at Annua Neavo... (badly spelled...)

Randy

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,739 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2-Night Getaway within 1.5 hours or so of SFO

: ) Año Nuevo... and apparently it is a hopping place right now:

mercurynews.com/science/…

(don't write it without the eñe as it means something different....)

Edited: 04 February 2014, 01:38
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,434 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2-Night Getaway within 1.5 hours or so of SFO

Firing Squad Chinita -- Well it is not that SFO is a no no name to use. It is confusing and people have been dropped off in the wrong place because they said SFO.

But Half Moon Bay and Canative's suggestions is great and the food choices in that area are good. You should also try La Costenera which was an old chart house for among the best sunset in the West -- weather permitting