We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist Hotel/Area Over A Weekend in April

Dover, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist Hotel/Area Over A Weekend in April

Hi All

My wife and I are on a two week road trip during early April and we have 3 nights Saturday 12th, Sunday and Monday, in San Francisco. I was looking at the Four Seasons and was put off by the restaurant being closed Sunday and Monday night and the Mandarin Oriental is I believe in the business district which leads me to believe they will be quiet in the evenings - I'm looking for a bit of luxury and also to walk out of our hotel to a couple of nice restaurants. I'm happy to spend around $2K for the three nights but I'd like it to be memorable for the right reasons!

Many Thanks

PS - We've had 3 months of wind and rain in the UK- so if you could arrange for the weather to be dry - it would be appreciated!! :)

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,339 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist Hotel/Area Over A Weekend in April

There are so many great restaurants in SF and most hotels with few exceptions are not the go to spot for dining

The 5 stars are The Four Seasons, The Mandarin, The Ritz Carlton, The St. Regis . The ritz has a bit of a climb to get to and from Union Square but it is a nice place . There is the Campton Place hotel as well.

Another one is on the Embarcadero and is the Vitale

Have a look at www.oyster.com and TA for reviews. The Ritz, Regis and Four Seasons are not that far from Union Square and the Mandarin is more in the Financial District as you pointed out.

Decisions Decisions I don't think you can go wrong with any of these

Mentioned in this post
The St. Regis San Francisco
The St. Regis San...
1,388 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Union Square
Union Square
1,854 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
833 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist Hotel/Area Over A Weekend in April

You're right about the Mandarin being in the business district, but . . .

1. It's only about a 10 minute walk to Union Square or if you prefer a short MUNI ride. (Which could even be by Cable Car.)

2. The area does tend to clear out at night as the "worker bees" go home, but there are still a fair number of restaurants in the general area (5-10 minute walk) which will be open for dinner. Early evenings (during the week) still find plenty of people on the street. Now if you're talking a weekend, then this might be an issue (many of the lunch places don't even open on the weekends).

3. If you were talking about wanting bars, music, late night dining, and other more "nightlife" oriented stuff, then the (semi) lack of things "right outside the door" might discourage me, but I don't think it is an issue given your question.

Bottom Line: Don't think you'll go wrong with any of the options and I personally wouldn't worry about the Mandarin Oriental being in a business district if it otherwise is your best option.

That's my $.02,

hlo

Mentioned in this post
Union Square
Union Square
1,854 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Dover, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist Hotel/Area Over A Weekend in April

Thank you both, The Mandarin does look as though it will get my vote!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist Hotel/Area Over A Weekend in April

Perhaps it's because I worked across the street for a couple of decades but that location would NOT be on my list of places to stay and especially so over a weekend. The area is deserted after 7PM and most especially on weekends. There are a couple of restaurants across the street on California but there is otherwise no life on the streets to speak of.

And it's a good 5-6 blocks to find activity. I wouldn't pay that much for that location. If you're getting a good weekend rate then possibly so as the hotel is very nice.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,242 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist Hotel/Area Over A Weekend in April

The Mandarin is a wonderful hotel -- the views are to die for -- and while there is no "street life" after 8 pm or on weekends, there are some very good restaurants nearby (Perbacco, Wayfare Tavern). But if you want to be closer to more lively sidewalks at night, try Campton Place Hotel near Union Square. Wonderful rooms (especially the corner rooms looking toward the square), a very good restaurant, and lots of activity nearby.

Mentioned in this post
Perbacco
Perbacco
745 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Wayfare Tavern
Wayfare Tavern
823 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Union Square
Union Square
1,854 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,222 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist Hotel/Area Over A Weekend in April

I'm very confused by the Campton Place website reservation link - I can't seem to get anything less than a $1,200 suite for his dates?

Anyway, a vote for the St. Regis. Although we've never stayed there, we ate at their very nice in-house restaurant, Ame, and it's a quick walk to Union Square with its array of restaurants. Plus (I think) it's near the Four Seasons so you could go to their restaurant on the night it is open. And the St. Regis is right next door to the W, which had a very lively bar scene if that's what you're looking for, too.

Mentioned in this post
The St. Regis San Francisco
The St. Regis San...
1,388 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Union Square
Union Square
1,854 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
7. Re: Tourist Hotel/Area Over A Weekend in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 05:20