We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day Itinerary using Muni in San Francisco

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
460 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
2 day Itinerary using Muni in San Francisco

I am planning a trip for my college age son and myself (Mom) in May. We are staying at the Chancellor in Union Square and will be there an evening, and two full days in the beginning. Morning 1 will be Alcatrez. I know we want to go to Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, Ghirardelli Square, Hiaght Ashbury area, Chinatown, Lombard St., North Beach, Coit Tower, Ferry building. Definitely want to see the Golden Gate & Presidio. Are there any other sights or neighborhoods we should prioritize to visit? After another two nights in Calistoga, we will come back through after a quick stop in Muir woods, and can spend 1/2 a day in San Francisco. Also before we leave for home will have another 1/2 day. (Total of one evening, 2 full days, and 2 half days in San Francisco) Would consider biking over the Golden Gate to Sausalito and riding the ferry back if it isn't too expensive-how many hours would that probably take? Also, when we decide what and when to do this, what is the best way to determine in what order and on what Muni to take to see these places?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 day Itinerary using Muni in San Francisco

I'm rather confused. If you're only spending one night at the Chancellor you don't have 2 full days -- you have parts of two days.

And then when you return you say: " we will come back through after a quick stop in Muir woods, and can spend 1/2 a day in San Francisco. Also before we leave for home will have another 1/2 day"

Alcatraz takes 1/2 day. Biking over the Bridge takes 1/2 day as well.

I think you have too much else on your plate but it would help if you provided your arrival and departure times.

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 day Itinerary using Muni in San Francisco

Sorry for the confusion. Scheduled to arrive on a Wed at 3:30 at SFO, taking BART to the Chancellor. Have all day Thurs and all day Fri (2 nights & 2 days in San Fran). Will leave at 7 or so Fri night to head to Calistoga to spend Fri and Sat night. (1 full day at wineries on Sat). Leave early Sun Morning for quick look at Muir Woods. Can go back to San Fran for the rest of Sunday until time to drive down to Carmel (I don't want to drive at night to Carmel).Will spend Sun night in Carmel, with Monday to do the 17 mile drive and whatever else. On Tues will have option of staying in Carmel/Monterrey or driving up to San Fran (probably will just stay in Monterrey area). Need to be at our hotel at SFO Tues night for flight out on Wed.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,366 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 day Itinerary using Muni in San Francisco

ok. did you read the very instructive article on a 3 day itinerary in SF -- seems to have most of what you want to do and also the really detailed White D article on how to use MUNI to go around SF from Union Square.

It would also be good to get a good online guide on what to do and see in Monterey/Carmel based on your interests. If you have a college age son, I am sure he and you can do research on what visitors do in that area. Not everyone wants to just drive 8 miles of a 17mile drive while there are other options for kayaking to seeing wildlife to biking to the amazing Point Lobos to Big Sur village drive.

Also if you look at the articles on the right and all the replies from locals/regulars you will see they use San Francisco or SF to refer to the city. Good to notice small things like this -- now you will always get a reply back -- call it what you like - and that is true..

Edited: 06 February 2014, 03:36
Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 day Itinerary using Muni in San Francisco

Thanks for your help!

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 day Itinerary using Muni in San Francisco

Where will I find the 3 day itinerary and White D article? Is it in the questions asked column? Sorry am new to this.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 day Itinerary using Muni in San Francisco

Hi,

I'm using this company/bike tour for my husband & I (Feb 15) viator.com/tours/…d651-3306ROCK

$54pp for a 3hr bike tour that ends up in Sausalito (ferry ride back to SF is included in price) AND the price includes full day bike rental.

TripAdvisor: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60713-d23…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 day Itinerary using Muni in San Francisco

Here is the link to the 3day tour : tripadvisor.com/Guide-g60713-l287-San_Franci…

And info on the transportation: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c190364/San-Fr…

lots of good info: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-s510/San-Franc…

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,706 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 day Itinerary using Muni in San Francisco

>>>Where will I find the 3 day itinerary and White D article? Is it in the questions asked column? Sorry am new to this.<<<

Are you on a phone or tablet? You need to be on a non mobile web browser. Either go to desktop computer or change it to the "Full Site" on your mobile device. Then look on the top right hand side of the page for these Top Questions and articles. If you are on your device and can not figure it out, go to the 2nd sticky thread in the San Francisco forum for the link: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k664179…

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 day Itinerary using Muni in San Francisco

Thanks a bunch for the info and have fun on your trip! I will actually be in Dallas several times in the next few months as we are practically neighbors!

Edited: 06 February 2014, 04:44
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 day Itinerary using Muni in San Francisco

Taking a bike tour across the Golden Gate Bridge is unnecessary. There are tons of bike rental outlets in the Fisherman's Wharf area and the path is easy to follow and mostly off city streets. All the bike rental companies will outfit you with everything you need including maps. Here is the referenced Article: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c134705/San-Fr…