We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF Travel Guide

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
460 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
SF Travel Guide

I will be visiting SF and have gotten extensive information off of this wonderful TripAdvisor. However, I would like a travel guide to give my son to read on the plane ride to SF. I would prefer one that lists the hidden gems of SF in addition to the obvious touristy places. Is there such a guide/book out there?

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,724 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SF Travel Guide

Try dropping by your local book store (if you still have one nearby). The travel department should have a good selection including the big named ones like Fodor's, Frommer's, and Lonely Planet.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,706 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SF Travel Guide

... better yet... the public library. I have not bought a travel book in a long time except as gifts. Have lived near wonderful libraries in SoCal and now here with excellent travel section.

Lonely Planet more for young or backpacker minded/independent. Frommer and Fodor are classics.

Not a hard copy but wonder if you will have wifi on the flights and an iPad/tablet. One of our DEs sfimporter often mentions 7x7 http://www.7x7.com I have found cool and eccletic stuff there. 7x7 BTW refers to the city being roughly 7miles by 7 miles. I love the articles in this local travel mag which bills itself as "experiential." The SF guide online as I search is just a list but I can see if they have more indept articles which I really enjoy in print. The publishers are from SF..

afar.com/travel-guides/…guide

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
809 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SF Travel Guide

I would add to the guidebooks list the "Rough Guide":

roughguides.com/destinations/…

Brun066

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,237 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SF Travel Guide

We like the Eyewitness Guides. They are well-organized, divided into logical sections, and have maps and great pictures. I, of course, have not used a San Francisco Guide, but from my experience I am quite sure you will find out of the way places and information about them. I think their guides are classy.

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SF Travel Guide

The Rough Guide seems like a good one. The regular has like 300+ pages, but the pocket is about 1/2. Do you know what is left out of the pocket guide?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,706 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SF Travel Guide

Usually the more verbose details with some of the background info. I have used pocket and the big book versions of various guides. Unless folks have the actual books, you have to do some research on your own to see what is missing.

7. Re: SF Travel Guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 07:18