We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three day visit to SF- itinerary suggestions?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Three day visit to SF- itinerary suggestions?

So we only have a couple of days in SF on our way back from coming back from camping in Yosemite, this is what we have planned. I'm open to activity, restaurant and other suggestions:

San Francisco

6/13-Friday

- Arrive late afternoon at our airbnb host's home in Potrero Hill

- Relax and decide where we want to head for dinner.

- Dinner on the early side-location?

- Burlesque/Drag Show @ El Rio 7:00

- Explore the nightlife in the Castro

Sat

- Brunch at Plow?

- Cable car to City Lights to buy a copy of Howl

- Walk to Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39-(lunch there?), Musée Mécanique,

- Walk to Golden Gate Bridge (say hi to Yoda statue on the way)

- Bus to Haight Ashbury-walk around

- Dinner on the early side again-location?

- Cat Club for Burlesque (we're big fans) 7:00 pm

Sunday

- Light rail to Union Square

- 10:00-walking tour of the Castro and Mission http://www.wildsftours.com/

- Lunch in the Mission

- Head back and get the car and drive to the airport.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,249 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three day visit to SF- itinerary suggestions?

Sounds like a fun time. There are several Top Questions item on the right side of this page re dining options. I am not the person to ask about that, but I am bumping your post up so others more knowledgeable can answer those questions.

Boston
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Three day visit to SF- itinerary suggestions?

Thank you! I'll check the links about restaurants.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three day visit to SF- itinerary suggestions?

Pier 39 to the Golden Gate Bridge is about 4 miles. Add another mile to detour to the Yoda statue.

Where in Potrero Hill is the rental? Some areas are better than others but even some of the better areas don't have great transit.

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
9,270 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three day visit to SF- itinerary suggestions?

hi: your visit is filled with neighborhood gems...:)...You may not be hungry when/if in North Beach because of earlier brunch BUT if you are have a delicious hot meatball sandwich on toasted foccacia in Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store (Columbus/Union) whilst sipping a fantastic cappucino overlooking the lovely Washington Square park. And do poke your heads into Vesuvios (next to City Lights bookstore)....or if not hungry, walk over to Cafe Trieste (Grant/Vallejo) and order a latte and put a quarter into the jukebox for Italian opera..

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,067 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three day visit to SF- itinerary suggestions?

>>- Cable car to City Lights to buy a copy of Howl<<

Nice! Also look into the very small Beat Museum on Broadway, if this period interests you.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,460 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three day visit to SF- itinerary suggestions?

Potrero Hill. As WD mentions, not the most central of places nor the best place to hang out especially at night in some of its parts.

jamaica plain
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Three day visit to SF- itinerary suggestions?

Thanks for the tips/suggestions! We found a very nice room in a very nice home at a very nice price, which is why we are staying in Potrero Hill. My friend and I are also camping in Yosemite for the six nights prior to our time in SF, so I wanted to stay away from hotels in the heart of downtown with the hopes of keeping our Yosemite peacefulness with us for as long as possible.

Thanks for the tip about the Beat Museum too! I was lucky enough to see Ginsberg read Howl while I was a teenager. I just can't come to th city and not step foot in City Lights!

I also know that the walk is pretty long go the GG bridge from Pier 39. I was thinking we go slow and sit by the water when we want to take a break. We can always nix Yoda-I only added him because I thought he was on the walk there. I'm guessing someone has already asked about the best walking route there so I'll read up on some other people's questions on the forum.

Thanks again!

Boston
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Three day visit to SF- itinerary suggestions?

Sorry-for some reason my phone is linked to an older account that I don't use anymore. That last response was from me, the OP.

jamaica plain
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Three day visit to SF- itinerary suggestions?

Ugh-sorry, just accidentally posted that through on older account because I responded on my phone. Still the same OP.

Boston
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Three day visit to SF- itinerary suggestions?

Sorry again for the technical difficulties-think it's all sorted out now!

Anyway...I think this is the route I'd walk from Fisherman's Wharf to the Golden Gate Bridge, and again we'll be taking the afternoon to do it so we can go as fast or slow as we want. We are both in our mid-30s and will have our walking shoes on!

From Fisherman's Wharf , we'll head through the Aquatic Park to Fort Mason and along the coast to Chrissy Field, then reach Fort Point just under the bridge. At that point, we'll stop in at the Warming Hut before crossing the bridge. I'm not sure if we'll do the entire Bridge or go halfway and then turn back.